Date:
Wed, 31 Jan 2007 09:39:45 -0500
Good Wednesday to everyone - from snowing....... AGAIN......Denver...
*sigh*. Ok, enough about the lousy weather. I have a story for
everyone!!!! It does NOT involve ferrets, except for the reference to
Helena. Now most of you remember that I lost Helena about a year ago,
to a blockage. It was a horrible, hard time - and it taught me a very
valuable lesson. The lesson being - learn to LISTEN when your pet says:
It hurts!!

Monday, my dog Aeros - developed a whiney cry. And Aero's NEVER cries,
or whimpers. My husband said that he would flinch when someone touched
his neck - and jerk a bit when someone touched his tummy. Now since he
can't say what is wrong with him, and after what we went thru with
Helena.......I wasn't taking any chances. I had my husband, (who
incidentally is in ABQ - with the dog) drag him into the vet.

Now Aeros - true to any animal form - developed a high "anxiety"
adrenaline rush - and when the vet poked, prodded, examined, took
temperature, etc - Aero's exhibited NO outward signs of pain or
discomfort. Now the unfortunate part....is my husband is not as
"freaked out" as I am when a pet is saying "sumfin hurts mom", and
didn't insist on x-rays. Now we fuzzy lovers have learned - thru our
own experiences, or those of others - that if your pet is in distress -
and you can't "see" why - THEN DO THE X-RAY (remember: blockages can
occur in all of our furry friends). So Tuesday morning, when Tim
reported that Aeros was still, whimpering, didn't want to be touched
and was generally lethargic, I insisted he drop what he was doing at
work, and bring him BACK to the vet - for x-rays. And I......true to
form......called the vet - and ripped him a new one for NOT x-raying
Aeros the first time. To his credit - the vet explained that he didn't
want to make us spend money, specially when the dog did not exhibit any
symptoms while there......so I let him off with a stern: FIX HIM NOW
warning.

So Tim brings him back - and low and behold, THIS time - he exhibited
all the symptoms Tim had told me about. He seemed painful in his neck
and "touchy" round his tum-tum. I go south - thinking what on earth did
he eat? A chicken bone? Golf ball? What? X-rays performed.......Dr.
calls me back. "Well he says, I think he might have strained a muscle
in his neck, which could explain why he is painful there. There are no
blockages, no chicken bones, no golf balls, etc. BUT he says......he
seems to be......er, kinda......."full" in his intestinal area........
hmmmm......I think.......and asked the words no furry Mommy should ever
have to ask......."uhm, doc? I say".....Yes..... he says? Er, are you
telling me my dog ......is.......constipated? Well, he says - it's
probably a two fold situation. For the neck, I can give him a
anti-inflammatory shot.....but well, for his tummy.......and he went
silent. Then......I asked him........do....they make.....doggie
enema's? Heaving a sigh of relief, he says - yes, there is such a
thing....I just wasn't sure how to bring it up to you. I, being the now
RELIEVED Mommy I am, (and no, it wasn't from an enema....) said, well,
if we can't "fix" the neck - we sure can fix the other, right? Yep. I
did it. I said: ENEMA-ATIZE that dog!!!!! Now, I know some of you are
thinking....."how could you"? Well, I could because of two reasons.
One - I didn't bring him to the vet - Tim did.
Two: It was the vet that "did it" to him......so I figure it this way.
If my dog is gonna hate anyone here, it sure as hell isn't gonna be
meeeeeeee!!!!!!

I am happy to report, that after "said procedure" was performed, Aero's
bounced right back to: Yippiee-Kia-Yeah!!!! My husband said he was
"dancing" all over the place again!!!! Now woulda thunk a dog can get
constipated? Of course, he is no longer speaking to Tim.....or the
vet.........and he did place a long distance call to me last night and
said: Rommy? Ret Re Routta Rere!!!!!!

Toodles all!

Kim and Her Army of Idiots (and one very "relieved" Aeros)

Lord, help me to be grateful for what I have, and not greedy for what
I want.....