From:
katharine long <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 13 Mar 1997 09:49:33 EST
>... there is alot of us in Florida that are trying to get them to change
>the bitting laws down here if anyone

I too live in Florida.  Last summer, I had a lengthly conversation with the
chief epidemiologist for the state department of health.  What he said was
that the Centers for Disease Control (I think) and some other federal agency
were in the final stages of rabies testing for ferrets.  It was pretty
technical so I didn't understand much of it.  Anyway, the bottom line is
that when the testing is completed (he said probably within a year), the
state would probably rewrite the rules to institute a quarantine period for
biting ferrets.  He said the current rule has been on the books for years
but it became public because of the biting incident in south Florida (I
think).  Their position is that they should wait until the tests are
completed rather than change the law now and maybe have to change it again
later.  In the meantime, if a bite does occur, each county handles it in
their own way.  If you can show that your ferret is vaccinated and that
there is no other potential for exposure (other animals or unsupervised
outdoor activity), many Florida counties will not kill the ferrets.

>shots.  And one had a reaction to her shots.  Well since she had lose
>control of her urine and stool <was very loose> and had a trace of blood in

It is my understanding that many farm-bred ferrets (i.e. Marshall, etc.) are
chemically fixed so there is no scar.  What many of us think is a scar is
actually a hair line.  However, it pays to be safe as I know most of you are
familiar with aplastic anemia (sp??) in females that are in heat and are not
bred.

I have had two incidents with reactions to shots.  Both times, they threw up
and had diarrhea almost immediately but were perfecly fine within an hour or
so.  Just be sure to watch them closely.  It is recommended that you remain
at your vets office at least 1/2 hour after shots are adminstered so that
medical help is immediate if there is a reaction.  It also might not be a
bad idea to give rabies and distemper shots on different days.  That way, if
a reaction occurs, you know which one caused it.  Then, a medication can be
administered prior to the shot being given.