From:
Alicia K Drakiotes <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 10 Jun 1997 10:35:15 -0400
This is for Wayne and any other owners who have ferrets on a low grade cat
food.  Wayne your vet is right, the cat food itself doesn't break down and
supply nutrients as it should for a ferrets metabolism.  IF you must feed
cat (kitten) foods they should NOT be grocery store variety, rather they
should be a high quality vet grade kitten food like Iams.

The most preferred diet is a food formulated for ferrets.  Since your kid
has been on a chicken based diet you need to gradually swing them over the
best way we have found is to take for instance Totally ferret or Iams
kitten.  Mix 1.4 of the new food to 3/4 of the old food and store in a
covered container.  After several days - weeks the foods will be harder to
pick out as the odors blend.  As your kid starts eating the newer food add
proportionally more and decrease the old.

This will work, but yes, it takes some time.  Do not try to just pull the
old food away and offer a new food-- as you found the ferret will actually
starve itself rather than give willingly to change in some cases.

I hope this helps you in helping to find a solution too your ferrets diet.
If you have other questions feel free to email at the above address.

Fondly in ferrets,
Alicia
a shelter Mom