From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 12 Sep 2007 14:15:27 -0400
The fur loss from adrenal growths typically IS symmetrical.

There are over 100 studies on adrenal growths in ferrets. Too little
melatonin production (which equals oo much light exposure) is something
which increases LH and FSH production. Too much circulating LH (which
reproductive tissues can turn off when all goes right -- but which
adrenal tissue can NOT turn off) is the root cause of adrenal growths.
So, giving one who has definite adrenal growths extra sun is asking for
trouble down the line.

Some other possible causes of fur loss (and there are more)
Asymmetrical: skin fungus such as ring worm, bacterial dermatitis,
mechanical (rubbing), mast cell tumors and the scratching that follows,
allergies sometimes, parasites sometimes, sometimes the scratching that
happens with advanced adrenal growth if the ferret is more annoyed by
itching in certain places, also some potential malignancies, etc.
Symmetrical: twice a year season fur loss, marked changed in lighting
which simulate the seasonal changes, adrenal disease (due to the
increases in circulating hormones -- remember that everyone has both
estrogens and androgens serving many functions in the body but there
can be too much of them), allergies sometimes, parasites sometimes,
nutritional deficiencies such as biotin and thiamine deficiency from
too many raw egg whites, etc.

Two possible genetic contributors to higher rates of adrenal disease,
insulinoma, or both have been found. A team at UC Davis headed by Dr.
Michelle Hawkins has found MEN genetics (Multiple Endocrinological
Neoplasia) which could promote the formation of such growths, and Dr.
Bob Wagner at Pitt has found p53 which could make it more difficult
for the body to fight off malignancies, including when they are in the
early vulnerable stages of having just a few cells.

There are some GREAT resources BY FERRET VET EXPERTS on adrenal
disease. Here are some of them, and do notice that there are some
points of contention which need further research. Notice there are
pieces by Dr. Bruce Williams, Dr. Charles Weiss, Dr. Deborah Kemmerer-
Cottrell, Dr. Cathy Johnson-Delaney, and Dr. Jerry Murray among the
ones here.

http://www.afip.org/ferrets/aae.html
Also recommended at this site related in some ways to adrenal growths:
http://www.afip.org/ferrets/PDF/neoplasia.pdf
http://www.afip.org/ferrets/Clin_Path/ClinPath.html

http://www.miamiferret.org/fhc/adrenal.htm
Also recommended at this site (the ones not by vets were written by a
non-vet, the late Mike Janke, with veterinary guidance and checking):
http://www.miamiferret.org/fhc/basics.htm
http://www.miamiferret.org/fhc/about_lupron.htm
http://www.miamiferret.org/fhc/addisons.htm
http://www.vet.utk.edu/diagnostic/endocrinology/
http://www.miamiferret.org/fhc/murray.htm
http://www.miamiferret.org/fhc/melatonin.htm

http://ferrethealth.org/archive/FHL2407
http://ferrethealth.org/archive/FHL1843
(a rather recent one I haven't carried here before with my busy
schedule so may as well now since I have permission to do so)

>Date: Sun, 15 Jul 2007 22:46:36 EDT
>Subject: [ferrethealth] Re:Adrenal prevention,etc
>
>Hi everybody,
>There has been some recent posts about how to prevent adrenal gland
>disease, and there seems to be some confusion on how some of the
>adrenal medications work and how they might prevent adrenal gland
>disease. I'll try to clear up some of that confusion.
>
>Lupron and Deslorelin both work at the pituitary level to stop the
>production of LH. Without LH there is no stimulation to the adrenal
>glands. Without the stimulation from LH, the adrenal gland stops
>producing hormones. Plus cases of hyperplasia (and possibly even
>adenomas) may become smaller and may even return to normal size with
>Lupron or Deslorelin treatment. However they do not work directly on
>the adrenal glands. Melatonin works a little differently. It works at
>the hypothalamus level to reduce LH production.
>
>It may also work directly on the adrenal glands thru melatonin
>receptors on the adrenal glands! This helps to prevent the adrenal
>gland from getting bigger. As far as using these products to prevent
>adrenal gland disease, starting a juvenile ferret on them may prevent
>that ferret from getting adrenal disease. Likewise starting an adult
>ferret on them before they have signs of adrenal gland disease may
>prevent them from getting adrenal disease as they get older. However
>it requires Lupron monthly, year round, for the rest of its life and
>not just one dose each spring. As far as a genetic problem and adrenal
>gland disease, preliminary work done by Dr Wagner at the U of Pitt has
>shown a defect in a tumor suppressor gene (P53). This defect causes a
>loss of tumor suppression, so tumors can form much easier and grow
>much bigger. He presented this info at the symposium in Portland.
>
>Hope that helps clear up some of the confusion.
>Jerry Murray, DVM

http://ferrethealth.org/archive/SG15993

and there are MANY MORE!

Sukie (not a vet)