From:
Pam Grant and STAR* Ferrets <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 28 Nov 1997 15:41:58 -0500
>From:    Rachelle & McKyle Tuvell <>
>Subject: Best age to neuter or spay and descent?

I'll answer the easier one first.

Descenting: It is an unnecessary operation and does not need to be done,
unless for health reasons the ferret has a problem controlling "expressions"
or has a reoccurring impacted anal gland problem.

Neutering:  The optimum age is 6 to 7 months to achieve maximum hormonal
growth.  There are exceptions which I will list here:

1. If the kit is being sold through retail operations (pet shops), it should
be neutered before sale.  I'm not promoting pet shop sales, nor the sale or
altering of ferrets before 8 weeks of age, but if ferrets get sold in mass,
they should be altered.
2. If the ferret is being adopted out through a shelter (whether private or
city controlled), it should be neutered before adoption.
3. If the ferret is being sold by a private breeder, this breeder should
have a neutering clause in their sales contract and follow up to make sure
the kit is altered at a given time.  I urge all breeders to charge a higher
fee and then offer a partial refund upon proof of the ferret being neutered
to encourage compliance.
4. If the owner develops a sensitivity, the ferret should be neutered to
decrease reactions.  Many people find they are not "allergic" to ferrets
until they get their first intact male, and as he starts to secrete body
oils, they develop sensitivities.
5. If the ferret comes into maturity early, it should be neutered to prevent
the health issues that surround the heat cycle.  Jills go into heat at 4
months too often, and should be spayed if being kept as pets to prevent
aplastic anemia.  Hobs will become aggressive, and rather than risk the
disruption to the other ferrets in the household, should be neutered.

These are my recommendations and those of Shelters That Adopt & Rescue
Ferrets.