From:
Debbie Riccio <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 17 Jun 1996 06:51:00 -0500
To Sukie Crandall:

Ah-sight-ees is spelled "ascites" and means fluid buildup.

To Chris and Rick:

There are plenty of oldies out here - I have 8 five-year-olds, 2 four-year-
olds; and then my young'uns: 2 three-year-olds and 3 two-year-olds.  Of
course, there are the new babies who are 8 weeks old today (Happy Birthday
kids!) and STILL with me - today they get their first vaccine, another in 3
weeks, and then they'll be ready to go.  They've been eating hard food for a
while, but I've just now stopped breaking the pieces in half (boy have my
fingers been sore from doing that several times a day!).  They're eating
like little pigs and growing like weeds!

To aid in litter training, I wanted to confine them somewhat (a "room" is a
big place for a baby ferret), so our shelter director gave me her playpen!
This works great!  It's big enough to put a litter pan in there along with
some toys, a tunnel tube, a carpeted T-P, and they have plenty of room to
run around and play.  This is *much better* than giving them full range of
the living room - and they can safely play in there even when I'm cleaning.

I think a playpen or something similar is a "must" for every breeder.  Each
time I do this, I learn something new......hmmm.....seemed to have gotten
off the oldies - they're starting to somewhat slow down - the 3 water babies
don't get into any trouble anymore, although they still chew blankies and
towels, paper, etc, so I watch them like hawks, all the 5 year olds tend to
sleep more than they used to - which may be why there aren't so many stories
about the older kids - they tend to settle down at this age (I know there's
always the exception!) and not get into as much trouble as the younger ones.

Debbie Riccio
WNYFLFA/DJR Ferrets
Rochester, NY