From:
Joanne Ruffner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 21 Feb 2003 08:48:35 -0700
To my FML Family,

I haven't posted this here yet because this has been so hard on me.  A
couple people know what has happened... I would like to share it with you
now.

We had adopted out 4 ferrets (2 at a time) to a family.  They were new
owners.  They went through the screening process, got and read Ferrets
for Dummies, and we did the home visit at their house.  They adopted Sox
and Bandit from us about 2 months ago.  But they had fallen in love with
another pair also.  So after giving it some thought they decided that
they wanted Scotty and Coco too.  These two were our pet store rescues
back in August.  We called a week later and all was going wonderful.
They loved all 4 and were so happy to have them.  Then something happened
about 3 weeks after...

Feb 13 (Thursday) Shawn got a call from them.  Scotty managed to get out
on Monday, Feb 10th.  They called us Thursday to inform us that they
couldn't locate him inside or under the trailer (new manufactured home).
We went over that night and set a live trap under the trailer in the
hopes that he was there and would go in it for the food and water.

Shawn went over Friday (Feb 14) and helped look under the trailer and
through the yard for him.  He was unable to find any signs of him.  He
was not in the trap either.  I got off work early and we both went back
over.  We took another ferret with us to help search.  Rocky doesn't like
other ferrets and we figured he would be able to find on out and about.
We had him go through the house on a leash.  Searching in every
room....no luck.

He went under the trailer (me on one side of it and Shawn on the other).
He didn't find anything and went right back to Shawn.  Then I crawled
under the trailer.  From one end to the other.  I searched ever rip in
the insulation...poking my head him and shining the flashlight.  Yelling
out his name, and crying.  We did another sweep of the yard...still
nothing.  We walked around on the dirt road calling for him.... there
is just desert.  We left the trap in place.

Sunday evening at 10 pm the family brought back the three, Coco, Sox and
Bandit.  They thought I would feel better if they didn't have them
anymore.... they were crying.  We talked for some time and I explained
that while I am very hurt that one of my babies is MIA I don't want them
to give up the other three, unless they don't want them.  Who is to say
that the next people we adopt to won't lose one or all?  There is no
guarantee in life, I know that...though I sure wish there was.  I
explained that we feel responsible because we saved them from the
pet-store, and we adopted him out.  I also explained that they should
have called when it happened.  Waiting the 3 days could have cost him his
life.  After 2 hours of talking and playing with the ferrets (who by this
time have crawled back in their carrier and were waiting to go home) they
left...with the ferrets.

We have contacted the 2 animal shelters and they have talked with their
neighbors.  We took the trap away and can only pray that he is safe and
happy where ever he is.  That we hope he knows that his brother Coco is
doing ok.

Not a minute goes by that I don't think about him.  I still have
nightmares about it and I still cry.  Donna, Lily and Kat have been
wonderful.  Thank you.

Shawn is now looking for tracking devices to help.  He has found a small
robot camera that is remote controlled and only 4 inches long and wide
(great for duct work).  He has also found some sound devices which would
allow us to hear the slightest noise.  We are looking into them and
hopefully will try to buy them this year.

Please keep Scotty in your thoughts and remember to always check for your
ferrets.  If one gets out, call for help.  If you adopted from a shelter,
call the shelter right away.  They are a great source of information.

"Ferrets are the Spice of Life"
Joanne Ruffner
Ferret Corner Shelter
www.geocities.com/ferretcorneraz