Reply To:
The Ferret Mailing List (FML)
Date:
Sat, 10 Oct 1992 03:34:47 -0400
I used to think pet ferrets ate the same sorts of food all over
the world, but recently there was an interesting article in the
Swedish ferret organization's magazine on nutrition.

First it had the usual about protein, fat, carbohydrates and
vitamins. Milk was mentioned as containing calcium and vitamins,
but recommended against, as it often leads to stomach problems.
That's when it got interesting, as it says that English ferrets
are often given milk daily, and they stand it very well, as they
are used to it. It seems like the English also give their ferrets
chickens, rabbits and other birds to eat, complete with bones,
fur and feathers. "The fur and feathers are good for the
digestion, and the small bones and stuff give a good supplement
of minerals and vitamins." It is supposed to be good for the
teeth to, as normal dry food isn't hard enough. The disadvantage
with eating about the same as wild animals is that it gives
intestinal parasites, which has to be combated regularly.

[One of the English books also talks about how to select
suitable roadkills...  This sort of thing really isn't a good
idea.  While the theory is good, (and I know of people who
go to great lengths to create "pseudo mice" for their cats -
don't forget the dirt, raw sewage etc.), it does leave something
to be desired.  One really just has to look at the change
in *human* life expectancies to know that "going back to
nature" isn't entirely without its drawbacks.

This isn't to say that you *have* to use prepackaged pet food.
Or even that you *have* to cook everything.  But a high quality
pet food is your safest and most convenient *staple*.  And
human food, in appropriately small doses, is a good supplement.]

{ Taurin wasn't mentioned, and I'm still awaiting the answer to
why it is good for ferrets. could I have been subjected to the
"two bounces rule" maybe, as our machine has had difficulties
waking up in the mornings a few days this week? }

As for what I give my ferrets, it is mostly dry cat food like
Iams' or Hill's, which seems to be common in Sweden. For a change
they can sometimes be given something from a tin, but more than
once every week I give them the same as I'm having, like pork
chops or beef. They like pork the best, but it took one of them
a week to realize it was edible food.
--
 Urban Fredriksson   [log in to unmask]  ([log in to unmask])
 Stockholm, Sweden