From:
Karen McCabe <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 21 Nov 2003 18:32:13 -0500
>From:    Gary <[log in to unmask]>
>
>If it has an imposing name like that, do you think there's a REASON for
>it???  Swimming in saltwater has proven to be harmful to ferrets, yet it
>has never done them any good.  Why risk it?

I thank you for your thoughts on the subject, Gary.  However, I am
looking for something a bit more substantial.  Such as documentation by
medical professionals, case histories of this occurring in Ferrets, etc.

Other than personal opinions, the only reference I have found (thank you
Sukie!) to this occuring in Ferrets was posted to the FHL.  According to
one veteranarian, the occurence of saltwater embolism depends on depth
and oxygen saturation along with the use of scuba equipment.  None of
which would be of concern with Ferrets.  Unless, of course, you're
planning on fitting them with Scuba gear and taking them diving. ;)

While I do agree that something proven to be harmful to our Ferrets
should be avoided, I have yet to find any concrete proof (only opinions)
that swimming in salt water is in any way harmful.  In fact, I know of
many people who have allowed their Ferrets to swim in saltwater for many
years without any problems at all.

If you have more information on the subject I would most appreciate your
sharing it.

--
Karen McCabe
http://www.animalsoup.net