Date:
Tue, 12 Nov 1996 15:15:36 -0700
Hello.  I know this is a common subject but i still wish for some advice.  I
purchased an 8 month old ferret from a local pet store which has never been
handled except in and out of a small rabbit-like cage.  The pet-store
manager claimed the ferret was in isolation most of his life and most people
weren't allowed to handle him unless experienced with 'aggressive ferrets'.

After visiting this beautiful black sable who was in desperate need of some
love, attention, play-time and company (my four ferrets), I took him home
with me in full confidence that one day he will be as loving and happy as my
crew.  Its only been three days and he already shows some improvement but
i'd just like some personal responses with older biting ferrets and some of
the discipline techniques used.  I use bitter apple,and when he bites really
hard i tap his nose and use loud voice commands, and so far he always lets
go before doing TOO much damage.  I know he is already happier since he can
actually move around and play and he is very good with the other ferrets.
But he is also scared and skittish of everything and it is like training a
kit only he has adult teeth and adult strength..

Anyways, i am completely dedicated to giving this fellow a happy life and we
will both be happier (and safer) when i can trust him as much as the others.
I would just like some personal success stories to help keep me optimistic
in case this takes longer than i expect.  THANKS!!

Andrea, Febe, Forrest, Ellen, Skully, and our new man..CHAINSAW!