From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 4 Aug 2007 14:11:36 -0400
There is a lot in the FHL Archives, luckily, but it is a very hard
disease to manage.

Is this rebound diabetes (after long steroid use, after advanced
insulinoma, or after insulinoma surgery), or diabetes by itself?
Rebound diabetes often (but not always) corrects on its own.

It is wonderful that you tested. Diabetes can look like insulinoma
and every two years or so we hear of one who was automatically treated
for insulinoma instead of having the glucose tested so either died or
had severe organ damage from the use of the opposite approach needed
for diabetes.

Here are some things to help you:

http://www.unc.edu/%7Epjdutche/bloodsugar/

http://ferrethealth.org/archive/YPG376
is from about a half year ago and says:

http://ferrethealth.org/archive/YPG331
>Ferrets very rarely get diabetes, but it certainly can happen. Your
>vet should do a urinalysis and check the blood sugar on this ferret.
>Increased urination can also indicated a urinary tract infection or
>kidney disease.
>
>Dr. Karen
>Aka Karen Purcell DVM
>Author: Essentials of Ferrets

http://ferrethealth.org/archive/SG5628
on a way that insulinoma can lead to diabetes
>Actually, although it sounds contradictory, it does happen.
>
>Here's how it occurs: The insulinoma occurs first, liberating high
>levels of insulin. We combat it with prednisone, which raises the
>blood glucose in spite of the high insulin levels. After months of
>high insulin levels, the body gradually downregulates the insulin
>receptors on the cells, which are being overstimulated. As the cells
>become non-insulin responsive, the animal develops diabetes. Its a
>form on insulin-unresponsive diabetes (Type 2), and it seen not
>infrequently in ferrets on long-term prednisone for insulinoma control.
>
>The blood doesn't alternate between high and low - the pattern you
>see in these ferret is that it is low for a long time, then all of
>a sudden it goes in to the 250-350 range or higher.
>
>Another reason to consider surgical treatment in younger ferrets as
>soon as the disease is diagnosed.
>
>With kindest regards,

Bruce Williams, DVM

Related (insulinoma article but I think it touches on when diabetes
then happens, too):
http://www.afip.org/ferrets/PDF/insulinoma.pdf

I haven't asked permission to quote her but DO click open and read
this post from Pam Sessoms for excellent info:
http://ferrethealth.org/archive/YPG330

Monitoring advances info from Tony:
http://ferrethealth.org/archive/YPG176

Testing info from Dr. Susan Brown:
http://www.miamiferret.org/fhc/physiology.htm

and there is plenty more to be found through the FHL Archives which
have a separate location from the FHL. Check the FML Archives, too,
please! You can find the URL for that in the header of every day's FML.

By Dr. Charles Weiss:
http://www.bradleyhills.com/ferrets/health_issues/insulinoma/

By Dr. Mike Garner:
http://www.zoopath.com/DiseasesofDomesticFerrets.pdf

By the vets of Long Beach Animal Hospital (for cats but some good
general info):
http://www.lbah.com/feline/diabetes.htm

Sukie (not a vet)

Recommended ferret health links: