From:
shirley miller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 1 Jul 1998 11:44:04 -0500
I have read about a lot of ferrets that like to bomb unacceptable corners
and I will pass on a method that is working well for me.  And my fuzzy
shadows.

My 2 babies were fairly easy to litter train because I only work part time 1
to 3 days a week and am home with them most of the time.  I started with a
litter pan (about 15 $1 dishpans from the dollar store) everywhere that even
looked like a corner and eventually they narrowed it down to only using 5 so
we kept those and I attached the extras upside down to make covered litter
pans.

But they would leave me 'spite' poops when I go away and leave them alone.
Right inside the front door.  And in a corner by my puter.  And on top of
the covered litter pans.  Now I put a few drops of ferretone on a cotton
ball and let it soak in and rub this on the area that they chosen (after
scrubbing it good) and they no longer will poop there.  I also rub it on
small toys and tie them in corners where a litter pan won't fit and it
discouragesthe use of those corners, as well.  Before this, they would
sometimes poop on the toys but they don't want to now that they smell like
ferretone.

So far, I haven't noticed any stain on the carpet from the ferretone but if
you fear this, you might try attaching a cheap piece of carpet scrap (from
the dollar store) in the corner and dab the ferretone on it instead of the
real carpet.  You could attach it with a couple of nails which shouldn't
leave permanent damage to the underneath carpet.

If all else has failed, you might give it a try.  I would say mine are about
99 1/2 percent on litter pans now.  About 1 poop a week outside the litter
pan so I don't complain much.

On training them to come to a certain sound, I use a bell (from the dollar
store) because I think it can be heard from a greater distance than a
squeaky toy and easier to tell from bird noises if they should get outside.
The training goes the same way.  Ring the bell, give a treat, ring the bell,
give a treat, etc.

They get some treats on a regular basis but I save the 'special treat' for
about 2-3 times a week with the bell.  Their 'special treat' is a lick
direct from the end of the ferretone bottle.  Pure Heaven.

I couldn't find a bell loud enough to satisfy me so I put a bigger ringer
in the one I have and it made it louder.  I would really like to have one of
those bells the salvation army uses at the holiday season but they will
never give me one.  I keep asking anyway.<G>

For 'Nip & Run' I use a fly swatter (2/$1 also at the dollar store.  What
would I do without them.) because by the time you chase them down to give
any punishment, you have already played the game they want.  The swatter can
reach them before they get away.  And you don't have to do it hard enough to
hurt them.  Just a firm 'NO BITE' and a light swat on their rear section at
the same time has cured mine.(So go ahead and yell at me for corporal
punishment.) The idea is to do something unpleasant so they will stop the
bad behaviour.(Sorry Bob, the devil made me spell it that way.)

I hope some of this may help make someone have a happier fuzzy household.

SHIRLEY (THE HUMAN)
JEZEBEL (THE WITCH)
TRISTAN (THE CONQUERER)