Date:
Mon, 7 Jun 1999 22:37:08 -0400
Hey, out there!  Got a question for you.

I have had a ferret since November of last year.  His name is Hershey.
He likes other ferrets, but mostly wants to be on his own.  He is not an
agressive ferret by any means (He arrived at the shelter being beaten
almost to death and never bit the person who beat him or the shelter mom
after that).  He is a wonderful ambassador ferret and he and I have made a
very strong bond.  He follows me around the house and will even lay across
my feet sometimes.

I recently rescued Gustifer.  He is ok around other animals, but Hershey
frightens him so much he sometimes defecates.  Doesn't help that he got
so sick, he almost died and we are getting him back up to speed, but it
is slow.

I know to give him time, and the house is big enough that they rarely cross
paths (also hersh free roams and gus is in a cage when I am not around).
But, when they do, Hersh displays interesting behavior.  He doesn't
immediately attack Gus.  He approaches him and then bares his back/scruff
to Gus.  He pushes Gus around if Gus doesn't give way and run (which is
usually the case.  Gus stands there and screams), but he just bares his
back/scruff and uses his weight to push him around.  Meanwhile, Gus is
screaming because he is so scared.  I have to admit, the behavior is weird
enough that I can't blame Gus.  Has anyone experienced this before?  Any
comments on what Hershey is trying to do to Gus?

Eventually, they will sometimes fight, but I can never tell who goes for
the first bite.  I think it is Hershey.  However, he doesn't go for Gus'
scruff.  He goes for Gus' back.  He bites Gus at the arch of the back
rather than the scruff.  Any comments on this?  I know my baby is weird (he
likes me, so that says it all), but I have never heard of this behavior
before.

Hershey does normal dominance behavior with other ferrets he meets for the
first time, but he has never done anything like this before.

Any insights would be appreciated
Paige