Date:
Tue, 4 Apr 2006 14:41:57 -0400
Hi Gang

I have some questions that perhaps some of you can help me with, so here
goes....

Fact - ferrets need total darkness for long periods of time during a
twenty four hour period.

How do any of you provide this total darkness.  We have two ferret
mansions with three ferrets in each one, both cages are in the dining
room, next to windows and a patio door.  So lots of natural light, with
curtains to block out the sun during hot summer days.  How can I provide
total darkness in each cage for the days I am at work and the kids aren't
out in hidey holes.  I have found that they get way to hot (in summer
especially) if I cover the cages and the same goes for the almost all
dark hanging nests I have made for them, they just hang out the doorway
cause its too warm.

Fact - my ferrets just love Purina Beneful with the vegetables,(dog food)
would prefer it too any dook kibble, it is full of veggies etc, all stuff
they should not eat, at this point in time they each only get one piece a
day, do you think this will harm them in the long run.  It is sooooo hard
to resist twelve little beady eyes looking up at you and begging for that
one piece.  As regular food they get Living World, Zupreem, Iams Kitten
and MediCal Cat Food all mixed.  Some will eat duck soup, some will turn
up their precious little noses.

Fact - Oscar is way better now but seems to have the problem of wanting
the Mudder to hand feed him all the time, any way of breaking this habit
without letting him go without food for any length of time.  Personally
I think he's just got spoilt.  (Eyesss not beessss a spoilt ferretssss)

Do most of you use Benedryl before getting any shots and if so how much?
By the ferret weight?  Liquid or pill?  And do our Canadian vets use the
same brands as American vets for rabies etc.

I am having a hard time with pet stores who carry ferrets, I tend not
to keep my mouth shut and I always recommend moistened food (as well as
dry) for new young ferrets that the store has come in.  Especially if
the ferrets are really small.  I get a lot of flack that this is not
recommended by the breeder (nine times out of ten they are Marshall
ferrets up here, we also get some Hagen).  Any other suggestions or
comebacks I can use to help out some of these tiny babies, which I am
sure are not eight weeks old.  Store owners seem to get very defensive
when you start suggesting things even if you do it in the nicest possible
way.

Will love to hear from any of you privately or on the list if you think
it will help anyone else, take care.....

Jaine

Mudder & the Orillia Dooks.....Sam, Molly, George, Oscar, Tigger & Thomas
(whose name we thought would be Spaz, but apparently it wasn't as he
would not answer to it and does to Thomas or Thom Thom, us silly humans
should know their names right off shouldn't we) [log in to unmask]