From:
William Alan Killian <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 14 Apr 1996 11:30:46 -0400
>From:    marianne <[log in to unmask]>
>does anyone have a picture of a "panda" coloured ferret? id really like

Sounds like something I need to add to my web page.  The AFA web page is
being updated and will have this butI don't know how long it will take for
them to get it up.  I did most of the HTML part now they just have to get
the scans done and added.  AFA is at
  http://www.worldaccess.com/afa/

>From:    Gary Holowicki <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: HSUS Positive on ferrets!
The HSUS and their buddies PeTA do not like domestic animals.  Now that they
put Ferrets in the domestic category that means they want to see them
extinct.  Nothing in their new position can be construed as 'positive' on
ferrets.  Most of the ferret groups in the country will do nothing to
support HSUS.  Put your faith in local humae societies instead.  They do the
real work anyway with little or no support from the HSUS.

"We would not oppose legislation" does NOT mean "we support legislation"

>From:    Brooke Tomaszewski <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Hi Charlee and Masque!
>Jezzie has a ferret-friend here at school that she plays with, his name is
>Killian.

How could I possibly not comment on this....

There must be something about the name Killian and ferrets.  I have one or
two cousins out there that many of you have probably heard of as well.  I
won't name them as I don't want them to catch the political trash I get now.

>From:    Ulrike Hassold <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Quiet, fat jill and other problems+questions
>Also she is swollen down below but the vet felt it and said he couldn't
>feel any enlarged organs and said that it's probably just fat deposits
>as Jilly is fat all over and nothing to worry about.

If you are saying what I think you are saying about the swollen state,
that is estrus.  You don't need to look for any other enlarged organs.

If you aren't breeding a jill ever, get her spayed.  If you will breed but
not right now, get a vasectamized hob - I forget whether James McKay
referred to them as hobbles ot hoblets as we don't use those terms in
the US.  We use the hormone injections as a back up if the v. hob
doesn't succeed in ending the estrus.

We have more trouble with ferret health over here than in the UK.  It
could be environmental or it could be early spay/neuter.  Some of us
imported ferrets last year from the UK last year to help with genetic
diversity.  The English are more energetic and smaller than their American
cousins.  The size is due to their still needing to work in the UK going
down rabbit holes.

bill and diane killian

[Moderator's note: Not that the HSUS is my favorite organization, but I
would like to suggest that some people don't agree with Bill Killian's
view of the HSUS.  BIG]