From:
Stillkicn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 16 Apr 1998 10:33:02 EDT
Ok folks I guess we will never learn when to let enough be enough.  Now we
have lost another valuable resource in Dr. Kemmerer.  No one says you have
agree with what decisions she makes.  None of us even know the reason she
has to make them.  I was not going to get involved in this argument but
since she is gone I have to put in my thoughts.  I would never have any of
my ferrets declawed for any reason other than health.  However many people
would, just as thoughs who crop dogs tails and ears(you didn't think
Dobermans and cockers were born that way did you) this is a procedure that
is up to the owners.  Was the flames and put downs worth losing a very
valuable source of important information over.  Not to me I need all the
help and careing people I can muster when it comes to fuzzies.  I feel for
anyone who has to bear the brunt of so called personal opinoins.  If it is
an opinion then leave names and personal references out of it and just give
your thoughts as we are all allowed to do in a free country(even vets).  Dr.
Kemmerer is not hte only vet in this country who declaws ferrets nor will
she be the last.  Under the law they as professionals spmetimes have no
chopice but to do what the pet owner demands.  Sure they could send the
animal to some backroom practice where who knows what or how will be done.
At least these people take the time to see that this is done with the proper
care and expertise that they have to offer.  Pet owners will always find
someone who will do what they want to their animal.  Do we want it done in
back alleys or do we want it done by responsible caring people (even if they
don't like what they are doing).  Never once did I hear any vet say that
they would reccommend or prefere that ferrets be declawed.  All that was
said was they have done it when forced to make a decision.  How do you know
what you would have done in that case.  I personally would not want to have
to make that kind of choice.  Please people before we lose more valauable
sources think before you write and keep it without blame.  Remember next
time it could be you taking the heat.  J.D. and the Ferret Patrol POGO-dad
don't even like to trim our nails

Smokey joe-My nails are short because I dig so much
Mister Boris-I bite when someone goes after my toes
Sabrina-I like getting my nails trimmed(ferretone)
Nerette-toes did aomeone say toes eheheheh
Butterbutt-they have to catch me first
J.D. love your ferrets and other people like today was your last, you never
know. Kissi your fuzzies for us. the Ferret Patrol

[Moderator's note: Dr. K has other things to worry about at this point,
but I don't recall an announcement stating she would leave the FML.

In most cases, when people feel they are forced off the FML it's due more
to the privately received email and not to the relatively calm ones which
get posted here -- some of the quieter vets on the list actually enjoy the
online debates -- it's the individual email I worry more about.  BIG]