From:
Lisaferets <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 11 Dec 1997 06:42:47 EST
Hi everyone!

I have been following the story in Spokane and I did send an email to Robin
Rivers. ([log in to unmask])  I received a very nice note back from her
today, in which she stated that she had gotten several HUNDRED emails
concerning Lance and Jean Smith.  I am hoping that repeated publicity will
help bring this monster to justice.  I sent Jean a note with a small check
enclosed, hoping that she understands that she is not alone and that there
are actually people who give a damn about right and wrong.

Dayna -- I am holding out hope for your latest fuzzy.  I am so glad that he
is going to be all right!  As far as a name, the only thing I can come up
with is Braveheart.  He is obviously a fighter and hopefully will make a
full recovery.  It is horrible to think that anyone would or could do that
to an animal.

The shelter controversy: Shelters have the right to ask or not ask any
questions of a potential adopter, just as the person visiting a shelter has
the right to decide that the questions are "instrusive" -- if its offensive
to the adoptee, it may be the way its presented.  We are all guilty of
saying things that just don't come out the way they were meant!  I ask
people if they understand that the ferret MAY require surgery down the road.
I do not want to see your W-2, or your last paystub!

All I have ever asked of anyone that has adopted a ferret from me is: accept
the responsibility of this pet, through thick or thin, love the animal and
take care of them.  Always do what is in the best interests of the animal,
please.  And of course, continue to research your pet -- magazines,
newsletters, vets and don't ever hesitate to call me with a question, or
concern about your pet.

I have refused to adopt to persons/families.  When I told them that they
could not adopt a ferret to me, I also told them why.  I explained to them
that their daughter(who was there at my house, squeezing the beejesus out of
a ferret when I picked him up from her) was just too young and needed to
understand that the ferret was not a toy.  I asked them, "if you were in my
place, would you adopt a ferret to yourself?"   They answered no, thanked me
and left.  I'm not trying to say that they would not have made good ferret
parents, only that I didn't think that the time was appropriate.  They may
have gone right out and bought a petstore ferret, I don't know.  But that is
the difference, IMO, between a shelter and most pet stores -- I say "no"
sometimes.  I do require an adoption form and questionnaire to be filled
out -- most times though, all of the questions contained on the forms have
already been answered through normal conversation.

I am really very sorry that the discussion became so heated, earlier.  I
guess we are all ferret folks who love too much.  Sometimes its better to
just agree to disagree.

Happy Ferreting!

Lisa

[Moderator's note: Robin River's email address is [log in to unmask]
per her earlier email about this.  BIG]