From:
"Snoberger, Christina M" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 12 May 1998 13:31:42 -0400
To Jennifer--

>I noticed that her canines are still pretty long.  The vet and I were
>hoping that with hard crunchy food, she would wear them down.  Not the
>case.  I gave them some treats and noticed that she had a more difficult
>time than the others eating hers.

Ferret teeth are NOT like rodents teeth which have to be worn down otherwise
their teeth will grow into their heads.  Ferrets teeth are like a dog's or
cat's canine teeth.  They need "wearing down" about as much as your teeth or
mine.

With the information at hand I would venture to guess that either:
1) your ferret may have a "cavity" and need his teeth cleaned or if
severe enough a tooth may need to be extracted, or

2) it may be caused by the type of food being fed.  Some ferrets have
problems eating kibbled food like Science Diet - they get stuck in the
ferrets teeth.  Since some ferrets have problems and others don't, this
may explain why your having problems with the one and not the others.
Ferrets tend to do better with star-shaped foods like Iams kitten food
or Totally Ferret.

Chris