From:
"Michael F. Janke" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 24 Oct 1998 07:47:58 -0400
>From:    Anna Curry <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: VET VENT & Thanks
>I know fluids are important but for future reference would you have
>snatched your ferret up and left if they were causing her to fight so much
>and hurting her because I was all too ready to but I was afraid that that
>was the thing she needed to get better.

I've given sub-q fluids to my own ferrets and it's pretty painless.  It
hurts me to stick that needle in them more than it hurts them.  Belle was
probably bothered more by the strange place, people and rough handling than
anything else.

I wouldn't have been happy in your situation.  I see no reason why fluids
couldn't be given right there in the exam room with you.  I'm sure vets
have to deal with many people that are very squeamish, overprotective and
shocked at the slightest medical need that causes pain, and that's probably
why they took Belle to another room.  If she had been with you, perhaps
(but maybe not) it would have been less stressful and not such a battle.

That doesn't mean how they handled the situation was right, but who out
here can really say.  I don't think I'd be going back to that vet with my
ferret for more reasons than just the way they administered fluids.

For the ferrets,
Mike

* Michael F. Janke, [log in to unmask]
* Secretary, South Florida Ferret Club & Rescue
* A 501(c)3 not-for-profit corporation
*
* Visit our shelter's web site:  http://www.miamiferret.org
* Visit the Adrenal/Insulinoma web site: http://www.miamiferret.org/FHC