From:
"J. Gordon Bengtson" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 4 Jun 2003 08:33:10 -0400
Nibble-ed had liver cancer, could feel the lump in her abdomen.  I
noticed yesterday she was sleeping in odd places, but they do that now
and then.  She spent most the day sleeping under a mop bucket/squeezer
on top of a Wal Mart bag, one of their favorite things to play with.
Later she came to the kitchen and slept on the floor out in the middle
of traffic.

She ate well, I made special gruel for her and she ate allot of it.  She
pooped well, nice big chunker tootsie rolls so the plumbing was fine.
Her body had absolutely no muscle, guts were bloated far beyond reason.

Normally in the morning Byte-me will come to bob her nose off me, get
some attention then go get into trouble.  This morning she did that
but kept bothering me, leaving and coming back.  She was persistent in
getting my attention.  I finally got up and headed for the kitchen for
coffee.  Leaving the bedroom I noticed a fert, Nibble-ed sleeping on
the edge of the hallway carpet so I reached to pick her up.

She was stiff.  Nibble-ed has passed over the bridge.  She made her way
towards the bedroom where we all go for sleep at night, something she
hasn't been able to do for weeks for her lack of strength, but last night
she tried her best to get there probably knowing what was to come.  I
actually think she had made it to the bed, there were two under the bed
cover but I didn't feel to see which two it was, but seems reasonable was
Nib and Byte-me where Kodo won't curl up with the others and these two
were curled up together.  I heard a loud thump when one left and that
would be Nib most likely, and she was laying down pointing towards the
other end of the hall.  I just didn't see who left.  But I found her this
morning, and by the rigor can tell has been several hours and that would
be about right where I went to bed about 3:30 and got up at 8.

Am sad to loose another fert but glad I didn't take the option to put her
down where she was not in obvious pain, but she for sure did NOT feel
good.  Yet she got every minute of life she could squeeze out of the ole
bod.  She had a good home, good food, good cage and plenty of out time.
She was not my favorite fert by anymeans, a most unsociable fert, but got
attached to her just the same.  May she rest in peace.  When it stops
raining, will bury her in the grave I dug about a week and a half ago.

Gordon, Byte-me and Kodo