From:
Brad Laraway <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The Ferret Mailing List (FML)
Date:
Mon, 19 Apr 1993 07:59:58 -0400
> With previous ferrets I've had the problem that they learned to
> get into the bathtub before they could get out of it. This week,
> Natasha learned to make the 60 cm jump while gaining 20 cm needed
> to get in from the laundry basket. Alison can get out, but not
> in. But none of them does this very often, only when they're

    When I got Sebastian my first Carpet Shark, I did not buy
the cage that the pet store recomended.  It was to small and came
with a bag of wood chips, a package deal. Cage $45, ferret $89,
buy bolth for $109.99.  Well I read in a ferret book that it was
okay to use the bathtub  for a temporary cage for kits.  Well at
8 or so weeks old Sebastian could get out of the tub quite quickly.
It took around two more weeks before he could jump high enough to
get back in.  My number two son Mako at seven months old still has
a hard time getting in the tub, but still hasn't figured out how to
get out of the tub.  He has around a 3 to 3 1/2 foot horizontal jump.
This is not good when you have your dinner on the coffee table and
he pushes it to floor with one stealth like jump and a slide.  What
do you say to a ferret after he does that and looks at you with a
face that has sorry writen all over it.

    I think some ferrets jump high and others are long jumpers.
This does make ferret proofing your house a little more challenging
with each new Carpet Shark.

    Have a good week.
    Brad, Sebastian, and Mako.