From:
Architectural Design & Construction LLC <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 16 Apr 2005 15:17:11 -0400
I recently posted about my Ferret Electrician.  The response I got
wanting more details was tremendous.  I tried to respond to everyone
personally but due to overwhelming response I decided to post publicly.
Sorry to those that didn't get personal responses.  However anyone with
additional questions that aren't answered may still email me for specific
answers.  Here it is:

Hi,
My name is Mike and the little fellow we'll be discussing is named
Stretch (as in "stretch limo").  I should let you know that I am not a
Vet or Shelter or in any way formally educated in the field of Ferrets.
All of this comes from the experience of about 15-20 yrs of owning,
loving and raising ferrets.  Any information in this post should be
discussed with your Vet prior to application.

First we'll discuss the harness.  This can be any type of full harness
that can be purchased at any pet store that sells ferret supplies.  Make
sure that it is a Full Harness, that's one that goes around the chest in
front of the front legs and another strap that goes around the chest
behind the front legs.  These straps should meet in the back with an eye
to hook a leash to.  It should also be as soft & flexible a material as
possible for the ferrets comfort.  Remember, the little fellow is going
to be pulling what will seem to him as a good size load ( that is like
you trying to run dragging a 100' 1/4" rope tied around your chest) just
to reach the "treat" at the other end.  You will probably hear me say
this often, "ALWAYS keep your ferret's COMFORT and SAFETY your FIRST
PRIORITY!"

Next we will discuss the lead.  This should be an extreemly high test
(strongest you can find) light weight fishing line (Deep Sea Fishing line
works well if you're near a coast).  It is very important that you get
the Strongest & Lightest you can find.  The longer the pull and the more
turns you have, the stronger the line should be.  Remember, this will be
the line you pull the "Fish Tape" through with, and the fish tape is
quite a bit heavier (15-30 lbs).  This is the time you DO NOT want the
"Lead" to break, if it does you have to start all over and if you're
charging by the hour this can cause some frowns from your employer.
Remember, the ferret pulls the lead (fishing line) NOT the fish tape
(heavy steel cable).  the "fish tape" should not be attached to the
"lead" until the ferret has finished his run and lead unhooked.  Its
then up to you or one of the other workers to pull the "fish tape"
through with the "lead".  The reason for this is the fish tape is too
heavy for the ferret to pull.  [Just to clear things up, "Fish Tape" is
a term used by electricians for a very strong cable used to pull wires
through a conduit and is not to be confused with the actual fishing line
to be used as a "lead".]

Next is the "BAIT".  This will have to be agreed upon by both you and
your ferret.  You need something very AROMATIC that your ferret simple
can't resist!  Some suggestions are Lanitone, Ferretone, fresh fruit,
anything he can't resist.  This is used when you have "Y's" or "T's"
where it is important that the ferret take the proper path and exit at
the proper opening.  Once you have the "Bait" smeared lightly around the
opening you want him to exit from, then lightly blow or fan the the odor
into the conduit.  This will cause a "vapor trail" for him to follow.
All you have to do now is hold him up to the entrance and let him go and
before you know it out pops a little pink nose on the other end.  At this
time you remove the lead from the ferret, attach the "fish tape" to the
other end and have a human do the rest of the "pulling".  Now is when
your ferret gets praise, lovin and of course a nice big treat.  Keep in
mind however the work load he has and that he should get a treat after
each "run" so size them accordingly.

Some final concerns are;

1. Always make sure that your ferret can fit comfortably into the
conduit.  Never let him enter a conduit that seems too small or has
reductions in it.  He could be determined enough to possibly get stuck.

2. I recomend male ferrets for this due to the fact that they are a
little stouter and stronger than most females, however this is not to
say that a female can't.  It just depends on the ferret.  My first
"puller" was a female, but she was a natural.  That little girl could
enter a shoe head first, dissapear, and somehow come out head first.

3. Make sure of your ferret's pulling ability.  Test him out in a park
or other open area with about 100' of lead (fishing line) atached and let
him follow you to see if he will "pull" that much line behind him.  Some
ferrets will just sit there and look at you as if to say "Get this damn
thing off my back and I'll be glad to follow you anywhere, but NOT
until!"

4. If you have multiple "runs" through the same condiut keep in mind
that each wire that goes in makes the opening a little smaller and more
cluttered for the ferret to maneuver.  Never put your little guy in a
jam.  ALWAYS keep your ferret's COMFORT and SAFETY your FIRST PRIORITY!

5. Never over work your ferret.  Keep in mind he's a member of the FLU
(Ferrets Local Union) who's rules are, work an hour, take a 4 hour nap
then work another hour (wouldn't that be sweet).  An hour is about it
before you risk having him curl up somewhere in the conduit an taking a
nap, that can be very embarrassing when everyone starts asking "Where's
The Ferret".  If you start getting a lot of work I would suggest training
additional ferrets to work "shifts".

6. Practice with your ferret using tubes or old pipe.  Get him use to
pulling his lead through pipes so he will know his job and be ready to
work.  Nothing's more embarressing than ariving on a job site with
everyone watching intently as your ferret acts up and does everything
except what he's supposed to do.

Once you have him trained and ready to go you can have business cards
printed, you can get a list of electrical contractors in your area and
send them mailings detailing what you do, you can put ads on the bullitin
board at your local Electricians Union Hall, ect.  Once you have a ferret
that shines (works well) it won't take long for word to spread.  With a
little practice and training your little ferret could become the talk of
the town (Stretch even made the Television News once).  When Stretch goes
on site almost everyone stops whatever their doing to watch the Ferret
Work.  This does wonders for ferret awareness.  A lot of people don't
even know what a ferret is.

I read somewhere that NASA used ferrets to wire the Space Shuttles due
to the confined spaces that had to be accessed.  I can't vouch for the
validity of that article but it sounds logical.

One last thing.  About 1out of 5 (or 20%) of ferrets just aren't
interested in working (kinda like humans, huh) so if you happen to have
one that isn't a member of the working class, don't scold him, force him
or be disappointed just try another.  It comes natural to most.

I hope this answered most of your questions, if not or if you have any
problems don't hesitate to write.

Good Luck,
Mike & the gang of Furballs; Stretch, Stinklette, Morgan & Thor