From:
Lapinski <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 20 Jun 2002 19:44:05 -0400
Hi,

Last night I posted the letter and pictures about the girl who had the
ferret with the rotting feet.  I can't even begin to tell you how MANY
great responses I got on the issue.

Unfortunately, my attempt to help the girl, apparently did nothing but
irritate and anger her, even though she asked me to dig up what
information I could.

I don't think a whole lot more is going to be done for her ferret, and it
seems impossible to convince the woman otherwise, no matter how friendly
you are about it.

She seems to think that the antibiotic is going to clear the infection..
I have to think otherwise, but then, I'm no vet.

This woman has opened a shelter (in her apartment) and has very little
knowledge of ferrets from what I can tell.

I feel so sorry for this poor little girl, but it's pretty out of my
hands.  I just wanted to thank everyone who responded with their
suggestions and idea's, and to let you know that I DID send them on to
her hoping that one of the emails might encourage her to further the
investigation of what's wrong with her ferret.

Also, I have discovered that ferrets have only been legal in this area
for the last two years, so the chances of finding a ferret knowledgable
vet is slim to none.  Most vets around here won't even do ferret vaccines
because they've had so many ferrets that have had *bad reactions* (I found
that for myself when I called to six different clinics yesterday looking
for a vet that wasn't on vacation) to the vaccines.  They say they'll work
with ferrets depending on the problem, but under no circumstances will
they vaccinate.  I'm so glad I got all of mine vaccinated before we
moved!!

So the woman's lack of interest in the problem, may lie in the fact that
the vet has no idea what to do or what it is.

Anyway..

Again, I can't tell you how many great emails I have recieved on this
issue..  You guys are SO great and SO helpful.  It really means a lot
to me.

Thank you so much!