From:
ERIKA MATULICH <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 16 Sep 1996 15:47:04 -0500
8-in-1 Foods has apparently adopted a dual distribution system with
ALTERNATIVE PRODUCTS to petstores and WalMart.  The 8-in-1 product sold at
Wal-Mart is substantially different than the type sold in petstores.  READ
LABELS CAREFULLY!  The Wal-Mart version is VERY low in fat (8% I believe)
although protein levels are OK.  The protein sources are primarily
vegetable, which is not so good for the ferrets.  I am not a big fan of the
8-in-1 petstore variety anyway, but the WalMart version is much worse.
Don't save money and hurt your ferrets!

On an unrelated note, are there any more hints out there for preventing
carpet digging?  I don't mind the wrecked carpet so much as the lost sleep.
To date we have tried time-outs in the cage, time outs in the carrier,
squirt gun with water, pepper on the carpet (black, cayenne, and jalapeno,
all to no effect except a little coughing to accompany the scratching
noises), vinegar spray (on the carpet, not the ferret), and moving the piece
of furniture in question, which is obviously in Socks' way.  Any more hints?
Yelling at him doesn't work either.  Socks is bound and determined to
scratch away, but only between 1:00-2:30 a.m.  and 4:30-6:30 a.m.  Help!
Are there any other suggestions?

- Erika (and the magnificent 7)