From:
Anonymous Poster <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 22 Sep 2003 21:39:19 -0700
Hi there,

I have a 4 year old ferret with what I think is an adrenal problem.  My
problem is is that we are on the road and I don't have immediate access
to a vet.  We are on our way to Orlando Florida, and I know I can hook up
with a decent ferret vet there, but I am concerned about my baby until
then.

I haven't dealt with an adrenal before, but here are some of the
symptoms, just in case I'm wrong.  Loosing hair both on tail, and on his
back.  He has scabs on him from severe scratching.  He also has what
sounds like a cough, or hack.  I thought he had just picked up the cold
that had gone through my family, but then I noticed the hair loss.

The other things that are going on is that we just lost our other ferret
about a month ago.  All this started about the same time.  Bear, (his
name) also got into a fight with the ferret who died, and the other
ferret put a whopper of a choke hold on him.  I thought I had lost Bear
before I could break it up.  Ever since then he has been a bit listless,
and tired acting.

I don't know if all this is a coincedince, or if it all goes together,
but I could really use some help from you all.  If it is adrenal, I know
he will need surgery, but is there anything I can do in the mean time?
Something that will help him until I can get to a qualified FERRET vet.
I would like to ease his itching, if nothing else.

Thanks again
CJ and a tired, miserable itchy BEAR