From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 15 Jul 2014 11:42:47 -0400
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2014/07/140714100122.htm

As you know, the involvement of Neural Crest genetic variants and
neoteny (childlike characteristics carried into adulthood), extraneous
spots (usually white), ease of domestication, and possible alterations
to at least one adrenal cortex function (less hair-trigger release of
epinephrine/ adrenaline) have been discussed as being connected many
times on F-G, FHL, and FML. Yes, this is the topic sometimes
inaccurately called the "Star Gene" which is a very outdated term
since multiple types of neural crest genetic variants at more than one
genetic locus can each cause such changes and some can be cumulative
due to occurring T different genetic locations (loci).

In ferrets the topic usually comes up in relation to worsened rates of
some medical problems like increased rates of cardiomyopathy, of jaw
malformations, of deafness, of GI innervation deficits, etc. in ferrets
w extraneous white patches such as pandas, blazes, mitts, etc.

It is a little strange to see something we have discussed for so very
many years on these three ferret lists being presented as if it were a
new hypothesis, though the facial features portion at least somewhat
is, and the possible adrenal cortex involvement had only one or two
papers in the past if my memory serves. Then again, the actual paper in
the issue of Genetics may do a far better job on that score, getting
across what already has had studies and papers, than the PR write up
did, a situation which is sadly not unusual. I would love to see the
paper from Genetics but am not a subscriber.