From:
Sherry Stone <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 30 Aug 2010 09:18:17 -0600
The only things I found to work with some of mine are treats, and
timeouts. It sounds like Chibi has learned to bite to get what she
wants- which is usually down. She's not at all socialized, she's
stubborn, and she has a temper, lol

You'll have to teach her that handling is a good thing. And at the same
time, you'll be lessening your own fear. And I do know how difficult
that can be! We've had a couple bad biters here as well. Big thing-
never pull away when a ferret bites. It is REALLY hard not to, but push
in firmly but gently instead. They'll actually let go to spit you out,
lol.

Whenever you go to pick her up, even only for a second, have a treat in
hand. Just make sure ahead of time they REALLY like the treat, lol. I
use oil in my palm. I'd pick up the biter, and bring my hand to their
face at the same time, so the only thing they could focus on was the
oil,.Which, of course, keeps the pointy end busy having num-nums, lol.
Just before she finishes the treat, put her back on the floor and don't
touch her again for a while. 20-30 miutes later, treat time again. Same
routine, over and over and over again. Once she's comfortable with you
doing that, try sitting down with her on your lap while having a treat.
While she's sitting eating her treat, just touch her gently along the
back a couple of times. Do this until you are able to actually stroke
her. She will get to like the feeling.

The big thing is- for now, never pick her up without that treat. And
everyone will have to do the same thing. And it might take a long time
to recondition hers, and everyone else's, behaviour. Or, it might
happen in a couple weeks- you never know.

Now, for the "stick". Have a carrier ready. Nothing in it, no bedding,
toys, food, nothing.

The minute she bites, into the carrier she goes. No more than 3-5
minutes. Bring her back out. If she bites again, right back in. At
first she may spend more time IN than OUT, but she will get the idea
pretty quickly that biting means boredom. And to a ferret, 3-5
minutes = HOURS!!!

I hope some of these tips help, and that you are able to use them to
good effect. I actually owe them to a lot of people who helped me with
MY biters :)

Sherry