From:
Phyllis Elledge <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 25 Dec 2009 11:05:48 -0800
The Ghosts of Christmas Past

It's late Christmas Eve and as I'm sleeping
My dreams are of stars so merrily twinkling.
And as my mind soars to the sky above
My heart seems to be filling with warmth and love.

And then I see them, the ones that are gone
Gathered 'round a Christmas tree singing a song.
Their voices are sweet, just like the angels
And their tree is being hung with raisins and bangles.

Then I see Duckie, our first ferret child
She's waving to me as she sings real loud.
And Rocky and 'Winkle are leading the band
As Maggie & Gabby stand swaying as they hold hands.

While Louie, Einstein and Buckey are testing the lights
Kaylah, Nanno & Vella peer in to the night.
They're waiting for Joshua and old man Sqeakie
To bring some more goodies to hang on the tree.

And when they appear they have Charlie in tow
Helping to pull a sled over a light powder of snow
That's just started falling since I've been here.
And Kelly explains I have nothing to fear.

"It's special snow we have here at the Bridge
And the air doesn't feel like it came from a 'fridge".
"It happens every Christmas", Madeline admits
"So that we can slide and play like silly little kits".

As Adele and Spanky Rose look to the sky
Even in my dream I begin go cry.
For out of the clouds come so many ferrets
That I've never seen, but I may know their parents.

And as they all slowly surrounded the tree
One of the ferrets said to me
"We're all OK so please tell everyone
That everything's fine and we're having such fun".

"And we all know that one day we'll see you again
So go celebrate Christmas with your loved ones and friends.
But keep an eye on those bangles and things on your trees
For we might make a visit and 'borrow' two or three".

As all of their voices joined and rose to the sky
I knew it was time to say goodbye.
And as the dream ended I knew I was lucky you see
That some of the Ghosts of Christmas Past had visited me.

They're all healthy, happy and fat you see
And that's why my kids and the others came to me
They all send their love and their very best wishes
And want us all to have a very Merry Christmas!!

Phyllis Elledge
Unpublished Work (c) 2008