From:
Sharin Alpert <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 7 Jun 2001 21:38:11 -0400
Hi,

I have 2 ferrets and have the opportunity to adopt a third.  Here are my
questions:

- My current ferrets had a wicked case of ECE this past winter.  They got
sick right around January 1, and were acutely ill for maybe 5-6 wks, and
not quite right for some weeks after that.  I've heard that the virus
lingers 6 months or 9 months... How would you decide when it was safe to
bring a new one into the house, if you didn't know its medical history?
Would you say that if it's relatively young, the odds are it's already
been exposed to ECE?

- What about ADV?  I guess i should test for that before bringing it home?
could i bring it home and keep it isolated til i got the test results back?
do ordinary vets who don't specialize in ferrets even do this test?  how
long does it take to get the results?  etc etc.

Thanks for your advice!

---sharin