From:
Bill Sebok <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The Ferret Mailing List (FML)
Date:
Fri, 20 Nov 1992 10:34:24 -0500
> > "Snooze Tubes" are tubes of a soft material, something like a sleeping bag
> > with both ends open. ...

> From:  Grace Sylvan <[log in to unmask]>
> Umm, wouldn't the arm from an old shirt do just as well, and not cost
> $10 - or am I missing something.

It is a very thick piece of a sort of velvet-like material.  It also looks like
it is stuffed with something.  All-in-all it looks like a little bit of sewing
work.  Of course the ferrets seem just as happy with the one made out of the
thinner ribbed knit material that my wife put together.  The latter is also
a lot more rugged in the wash machine and being wider but shorter, fits better
in the space in the smaller cage we use in our car to travel with them. They
have a big two storey cage in the house.

> Of course, if there is a market for these things at $10 a pop, I sew,
> and have a whole room full of material, most of it 100% cotton, and
> I've got a serger to finish the edges... hmm, that's the ticket...

A lot of things sold for ferrets can be made my oneself.  One of the things
I would like to see is something like a habitrail (sp?) for hamsters but only
bigger of the scale of ferrets.  I know one can put something together oneself
out of various pieces of plumbing and tubing but I would like one made of
transparent plastic so one can see the ferrets playing.  Just finding a source
of clear large diameter tubing and joints would be enough for me.  The plastic
pipes one tends to see in hardware stores is usually the stuff intended for
handling sewage and is thus obviously not going to be transparent.

Bill and Clare Sebok  Univ. of Maryland, Astronomy  Internet: [log in to unmask]