From:
Kim Burkard <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 26 Jan 1996 16:37:38 EST
Re: Hawks and Ferrets
<Graham Cooke's response about ferreting w/ hawks>
Cool post!  I always find it interesting to learn about working ferrets.
They were working long before they got the easy life of being pets.  It's
kind of like "Roots" for ferrets!  :)

It seems as though well trained ferrets and hawks would make a pretty good
team hunting rabbits.  Thanks for the post.

Re: Poisoned?
<Ferret possibly poisoned by roach spray>
Taking your little guy to the vet is the best answer, but I understand you
don't have any money.  Perhaps if you talked to your vet and told her your
situation, she may have some other options for you....who knows, but it's
worth a try.

If that doesn't pan out, can you stay with a friend for a day or two?  I
would try and get your little guy out of your apartment and see if that
helps him.

If that isn't possible, clean your apartment now.  Wash the floors, walls,
anything you can.  Vacuum carpets, furniture, etc.  Wash your ferret's cage,
bedding, change his boxes, discard any food not in a sealed container
(cardboard boxes or paper bags could possibly be contaminated), wash food
bowls, water dishes, wash toys, etc.  In fact, do this even if you can stay
elsewhere.

The townhouses where we live spray their lawns twice a year with some
noxious chemicals.  We make sure to be very careful about where we walk with
our shoes on afterwards, if our windows are open or closed, and about when
we take the kids out on the lawns again.  It may be overkill, but I take no
chances.  I have nasty allergies to pesticides/weed-killers/ fertilizers and
so I make a pretty decent "barometer" whether it is safe for the
fuzzie-heads or not.  I have heard of and seen animals poisoned by
pesticides/weed-killers/fertilizers/rat poisons....perhaps that's why I take
no chances.

The problems with poisons is that they not only poison their intended
targets.  They effect other animals, plants, water supplies, and eventually
us as well.

-kim, squirt (helping by making organic fertilizer -*poop*-), pippi (likes
organic carrots, green peppers, and apples), atlas (wonders is there is
an organic ferrettone?), and 'jinx (likes organic produce too!)

Kimberly Burkard     |             _    Everything I needed to know in life,
Eastman Kodak Company|      _____C .._. I learned from my ferret:
Rochester, New York  | ____/     \___/  Frolic and dance for joy often, have
[log in to unmask]<____/\_---\_\    no fear or worries, and enjoy life.