From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 19 Jul 2011 13:11:00 -0400
How long ago were the DMK ferret neutered? Remember the Netherlands
study. There is a very wide range but the average timing of when a
ferret gets an adrenal growth is usually about 3 years after neutering.

On shelter ferrets: for any who perhaps misread or read into a portion
of what i wrote: I was not saying that it is wrong for people who can
not afford to care for their ferrets to find them new homes. That is
a GOOD thing. What I was referring to was a specific breed of person
which shelters have at times spoken of in the past. There really are
some jerks out there who only like their animals when those animals
are perfect in their eyes, and once they get sick the people either
don't provide care or give them away, then they get themselves
"replacements". Not being the sort of person who turns her affections
and efforts away from anyone who isn't just right I am pretty
completely disgusted by that type of person.

Of course, it may be that enough people here know those people exist,
and therefore that no one misunderstood, but I figured that as long as
I was writing, anyway, I'd mention it as a clarification...

Sukie (not a vet)

Recommended ferret health links:
http://ferrethealth.org/archive/
http://www.afip.org/ferrets/index.html