From:
Kaye FitzGerald-Gorham <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 16 Apr 1998 23:19:41 +0100
Hi all,

Don't really want to get drawn into the flame wars about declawing,but I
would just like to point out (in Sheila's defence) that over here in the
UK,declawing,debarking,descenting and other similar procedures are carried
out so rarely, that most pet owners would be shocked if they heard that an
animal had had this done to them.We just don't seem to see it in the same
way as you guys over there.I have heard of a couple of dogs that have been
debarked or they would have been put down because of the noise nuisance they
caused,but it is not a routine operation over here.Similarly very few cats
are declawed(or not that I know of!) and I don't know of any ferrets who
have been descented............it's just not something we do here.Having
said that,the majority of ferrets are probably workers rather than pets,so
the issue doesn't arise.

That's it really............just wanted to point out that there WAS a
sort of culture difference thing about this.I'll butt out again now.

Cheers,

K.