From:
Kymberlie Barone <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 8 Jun 1999 22:16:54 -0400
Hello all,

First off, just wanted to thank everyone who has replied and is interested
in keeping Ferrets Across America going.  I am really proud that so many
feel that this program is worthy (yeah, once in a while I get a good
idea!  <g>)

I will be going through all replies over the weekend.  I am fairly certain
that this is a job that a few people should do, not just one.  I will reply
to each and every one of you as quickly as I can.  Hopefully this program
can be back up and running by the end of the month.

Next question.  My husband and I are buying 2 acres of land in a wonderful
location in the middle of wooded land and we're going to build our own
home.  I chose to build rather than buy because I want to have an actual
separate, physical shelter rather than trying to run the shetler from our
house.  This is so exciting to me, but all of a sudden it hit me -- where
do I start, what should a ferret shelter look like?  So I'm open to
suggestions.  Shelter operators that feel that you have a good setup (even
if it's in your house) I'd really like your input.  We can't go huge,
but I will be able to go bigger than expected as we are only having the
builder build the shell of the building, the Pennsylvania F.E.R.R.E.T.
Club members and I will be putting up the drywall, cabinetry, painting
the walls, basically finishing the place.  I have a rough sketch now of
what I want, which includes an office/client area, general shelter room,
quarantine room, storage room, and a room for my personal ferrets.  I'm
trying to think of ways that keeping the shetler nice can be done more
efficiently; we're trying to figure out a way to have a shelf built about a
foot off the floor that the cages will sit on, rather than sitting on the
floor.  This would make cleaning the floor much easier.  These are the
kinds of things I'm looking for - ways to be more efficient.

And one specific question: I would like for the ferrets to have as much
natural sunlight as possible rather than electric lighting.  My first
thought was to have skylights installed in the shelter roof.  However, the
possibility was raised to me that it could get too hot in the shelter, even
if it's air conditioned.  Can anyone tell me if I were to get tinted or
frosted skylights, would this help?  And if so, would it still let in the
beneficial rays of natural sunlight?  Would air conditioning still cool the
room enough if we have skylights?  I have one shot to make this shelter the
best it can be for the ferrets, and I intend to do it right!  :o)

Thanks in advance for any input you may have.  This is very exciting for
me!

Kymberlie Barone
Director,
Pennsylvania Ferret Rescue Association
Montgomery County Branch
http://www.ferretrescue.com
Looking for a ferret club in Pennsylvania?
Ask me about the Pennsylvania F.E.R.R.E.T. Club and other ferret clubs in
the state!