From:
Catherine Shaffer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 29 Mar 1996 10:48:24 -0500
LITTERBOX

I was thinking about the good success we've had with our litterbox methods
last night, and I realized that others might want to try our tricks.  We
used to have a lot of trouble with "accidents," but have finally gotten to
the point that both ferrets confine bathroom activities to the bathroom
(with rare exceptions), even if Sebastian is a little more creative than
Mortimer.

We use a brand of kitty litter that's made of recycled newspaper.  The
fuzzbutts love to dig in it, so I've adopted a %25 policy.  This was
inspired by my fishtank.  With an aquarium, it's good to change at least 25
percent of the water every two weeks to keep the levels of ammonia, etc.
down and keep the tank fresh and clean.  Well, I realized if I scoop out the
solid wastes and wet spots every day, and change about %25 of the overall
litterbox mass every day or every other day, I can keep it smelling like a
bathroom for them, but odorless for us.  This means they never forget what
the box is for and have a freeforall digging for china when we fill it with
brand new fresh smelling litter.  How we got them both to use the box (and
its vicinity) was by persistantly blocking other potty spots with food
and/or blankies until they got in the habit of using the bathroom only.
They are pretty good, now, but Sebastian likes to push the box out of the
way and go behind it (hence the newspapers underneath), especially if we are
lazy about cleaning up.  Hope this helps.

BEACHES

I think it's fine to take ferrets to the beach if you have some common
sense.  Up here in Michigan it's usually not that hot and the lake water is
fresh.  I'm not sure about other ferrets, but my boys don't eat sand.  They
eat a lot of crazy stuff, but they draw the line at sand.  If you have a
ferret that eats sand, maybe you ought to keep him away from the beach, and
for god's sake don't breed him.  Sebastian liked the beach when I took him
to the shore of Lake Superior last summer.  It was actually very chilly and
windy.  He had fun looking around and making tracks in the sand, and he dug
a little bit, then he curled up inside my jacket and took a nap.  I also
took him to a lake Huron beach that he enjoyed, but that was more crowded
and we were literally dodging people for fear of the predictable mob of
people squealing "Is that a ferret?  Does it bite?  Can we pet it?" I did
give Sebastian the opportunity to swim in Lake Huron, but he didn't seem to
appreciate it.  Go figure.  <g>

-Catherine