From:
Anonymous Poster <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 10 Apr 1995 10:52:00 EDT
Young Fidget has gotten a little lax about using the litter pan.  I'll guess
that you were diligent about teaching, but once the lesson was learned you
moved on.  One problem with just punishing for misses is that it doesn't let
Fidget know what he should do.  It may even confuse him that he is being
punished just for relieving himself (not the spot) and he may begin to hide
to do it to avoid being caged.  He knows he can't stop eliminating.

Try this when you see him backing up outside the pan, give him a gentle no,
put him in the pan, and reward him with a lick of linatone as soon as he
finishes.   Yes, this will mean some vigilance, but he has to unlearn the
simple way he devised.   Then start to cut back on the rewards after a while
until it is random thing.  How long would a person work at a job that
stopped paying?  However, the random substantial payoff (e.g., commission
sales and gambling) is a strong motivator (try and shake that sales person).
 Warning, try not to let him see you set up for this all the time or it will
become a command performance only.  They are discriminating learners.

Trivia time - Avocado oil is unique in that it is based on an 8 carbon
chain.  All other edible fats and oils use only 6.  This gives yuckamolie
the mouth feel that many of its fans like.  We fed Avocat to our bunch for
about 6 months.  They loved it and did well on it.  The sole local supplier
stopped carrying it and we are now about out.  I would guess that it is
whole avocado that has done in birds and others.  There are many compounds
in it (hey, peach pit seeds have traces of cyanide).  The food only has the
oil.  The maker, Breeder's Choice, makes a point of wholesomeness on the
bag, they  only use Vit. E as a preservative, for example.   They have 800
255-4AVO as a question line if you want to ask them directly about this.
 Sorry about the lag, I only have M thru F access.

          Til next time.............Rudy the ferlosopher