From:
Nancy Mitchell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 27 Oct 2003 08:43:04 EST
Melanie - I, too, have a little girl who is extremely distrustful of
strangers.  I adopted her from a well known shelter who had only had her
a short time, and warned me that she had a reputation, and whose former
owners would only handle her with gloves.  I have no idea how long she
was treated that way, but she was approximately 3 when I adopted her.
I suspect she was never handled without gloves from kithood, and not
let out of her cage very often.  With the help of the shelter operator,
Randy, Kim's book, and some other info from various ferret help sources,
this little girl has become very attached to me.  (She will still bite
a freshly showered and wet spot of skin.) and almost as good with my
husband.  But she has NEVER become comfortable with strangers.  (She is
now 6)

When we have guests, I simply put her up.  It is not her fault she is
mistrustful, and I think it might be detrimental to her trust in us to
subject her to a stranger who is not ferretwise to discipline for
selfprotecting behavior.

I understand your wish to show your little girl off, but I would wonder
if it wouldn't be in her best interests to keep her trust in you, let her
build her confidence and show your other ferrets to your friends.  Just
some experiences to share, and add to your thoughts

good luck

Nancy in Colorado

PS  Switch and Kit, YOU GO GIRLS!!