From:
"Bruce H. Williams DVM" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 26 Apr 1995 17:12:47 -0400
        To Paul Belusko:

    Whoa, Paul, I think we've WAY jumped the gun to say that Pooper has cancer
here.  We may have a mass behing the liver, but why aren't you going in to
take a look, biopsy, and/or remove it rather than just throw medicine at
it...?!!

   The bloodwork does not mean cancer to me - while it could be associated with
cancer, there is nothing that says CANCER!!!  here.  What it says is, there
is definite dehydration (elevated BUN, creatinine, and phosphorus, and
possible kidney damage), and there is probably an accumulation of fat from
lack of appetite in the liver, causing elevation of the liver enzymes (ALT,
AST (SGOT)).  And the white count is marginally elevated, which may simply
be from stress.

   The medication is an interesting combination.  We have an antibiotic, a
diuretic, and a steroid.  At best, the steroid and the diuretic will
complement each other, causing this animal to pee like crazy (although as
we have evidence of possible renal damage - I don't know if this is exactly
what we want to do.

   If there is truly a mass behind the liver, it is most likely an adrenal
tumor in that location, and probably amenable to surgical treatment.

  Don't accept "possible cancer" as a diagnosis.  Get a biopsy.  Medication
has never treated cancer in ferrets - only one type of tumor is susceptible
to prednisone, and even that doesn't work for long, and no antibiotics or
diuretics treat cancer.  Get your vet to take a look and a biopsy so that
you can make an educated interpretation of Poopers condition.

Bruce Williams, DVM  [log in to unmask]  OR  [log in to unmask]
Bruce Williams, DVM, DACVP              Department of Veterinary Pathology
[log in to unmask]               Armed Forces Institute of Pathology
[log in to unmask]             Washington, D.C.  20306-6000
(202) 782-2600/2602