From:
Edward Lipinski <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 12 Feb 1998 01:58:09 +0000
This posting is in response to the private emailings received by
FerretsNorthWest concerning our appeal for suggetions of ferret instinctive
behaviors that could be incorporated in public demonstrations for the
appreciation of ferrets by the general public.  Since we put on the Show of
Shows (Ferret Frolics/Olympics) on the shore of Lake Washington at a public
park the last Sundays of June and August, the general public is invited to
view the amazing feats of ferret festivities (with owners) for the one
important purpose of demonstrating the delightful, comical, joyous ferret
actions that make the ferret one of the most endearing and loving pets on
the face of the planet.

Some feel that with a little effort and some common sense in organizing
dispayable ferret events, that such promotion of the ferret by its BEHAVIOR
in a public place (no admission charges) gives to the public a realistic
view of the ferret (in its interaction with the environment and its owner)
which wouldn't be as clearly evident in the closed, indoor, formal
atmosphere of the classical pet show.

Please understand that by clarifying the differences in public perception of
the ferret in the two different venues of the public park, out-of-doors, and
the indoor, attendance-controlled room of a pet show, the average person may
get a greater appreciation of the active, free-running ferret than he'd get
by watching pet show judges stroke, stretch, palpatate and prod those
wonderful blue-ribboned champions.  Each venue has its place and its
adherents, although most would agree that having a pet show is like
preaching to the choir, compared to having a Ferret Frolics/Olympics.  The
latter, by its very nature is wide open, unrestricted, and just a little bit
more interesing than looking at ferrets in cages (most of which are
forbidden to be touched by anyone except the owner/handler and judge(s).
Please be aware that one is no better than the other, it's just that I have
a greater love of action compared to looking.

There are also other reasons why I prefer the action of the Olympics
compared to the pet show, but let me put those aside for the time being,
hopefully without prejudice from the reader.  My hope is that I stimulate no
ire from anyone.  (Hard to do when one expresses a ferverent opinion.)

For Andreas, Toni, and Julie, please accept my gratitude for your
suggestions and questions.  To answer one: the word
"Frettchenlustbarkeitsfuehrer" is made up of three parts - 1) Frettchen
(ferret), 2)lustbarkeit (frolics), 3)fuehrer (leader); hence, when put all
together it means the "Ferret frolics leader." And to Andreas, Ja, bestimmt,
Sie konnen mich auf Deutsch schreiben, aber sei einfach, bitte. [G.]  Yes,
certainly, you may write to me in German, but please keep it simple.  [My
high-school German (1948 and 1949)is kinda rusty, but I dearly love to
practice it and continuously learn more.] P.S.  I'm Polish-Hungarian
American born.

Thanks a lot Toni for a wonderful idea.  It just never occurred to me to
have a seek-find contest for blind, older ferrets.  How wonderfully
thoughful of you.

Sure it's OK with me if you'd like to know about the Olympic events we have
done out here in Seattle, Julie.  Let me transmitt another posting so
anybody else who is interested may also use these events.  Look for Subject:
Ferret Frolics/Olympic Events, Lipinski-fied.

                Omnem movere lapiderm. [L.] Leave no stone unturned.

Edward Lipinski, Frettchenvergnuegen from the Frettchenlustbarkeitsfuehrer !
Frettchenvergnuegen [G.] Joy of Ferrets.  F...fuehrer [G.] Ferret frolics
leader.
[F]erret [E]ndowment for [R]esearch,[R]ehab, [E]ducation & [T]raining
[S]ociety, NorthWest.