Date:
Fri, 12 Dec 1997 19:00:26 -0600
Hey All,

Thought I might give a couple of hints I have picked up along the way.

Bob C. asked about aspirin.  I have used it for fevers and such with my
ferrets.  No problem.  I have used a quarter tablet of BABY aspirin for
Ollie on a daily basis for a couple of weeks when he was deathly ill earlier
this year.  If you have any questions, Bob, the vet is Dr. S at the Forum
office.  The baby aspirin should be crushed and diluted with a dropper of
water, to keep it from upsetting the animals tummy.

The main trouble with as is the dosing.  Although dogs can take small
amounts of aspirin on a regular basis (usually 5grain w/buffers) it is
harder for cats and ferrets to take.  They metabolize the drugs differently,
much slower, than dogs.  It is much easier for them to build up toxic levels
of the drugs, in the major organs like the liver, due to this.

My understanding is that Tylenol is not good for cats, dogs or ferrets.
Because it isn't metabolized.

I have unfortunate experience, my Miss Jezebel opened a child proof cap of
Advil and ate several of the pills, probably due to the sweet coating.  I
still miss her.

As for spinal fusing, have been through this with several animals.  *While*
this is going on it is painful.  The fusing process pinches nerves leading
to pain when moving.  But after the fusing is complete, there usually isn't
any more nerve irritation.  So it is a short term painful process that leads
to long term loss of motion.  Think of back surgery in humans, that is what
they do to relieve sciatic pain (I know, I thought about it once).  That is
ALL that surgery does, relieve pain (by relieving pressure on the sciatic
nerve) and hinder movement.  The bone guys actually fuse 2-3 lumbar
vertebre.  So instead of 3 pieces of bone, you have one.  This is what
happens naturally in older animals.

I would also recommend that folks check into a product called Cosequin.  It
comes in two strengths, regular and double.  The regular is for use in cats.
I used this for several years on my recently departed dog for his severe hip
dysplasia.  He died at 11 years with basically no hip joints left.  It helps
to lubricate the joints, making movement easier.  It is an all natural
product and I have not had any problems in giving it.  And I know someone
who is trying it out with ferrets and it does seem to work with them also.

When my 18 year old cat went through this, we gave him steroid shots.  His
pain went away in a couple of months and after that he was fine.  I did
start him on the Cosequin also, which seemed to improve his movement.

To Monica S.- You didn't say where your ferret was losing it's hair on the
tail.  This could be a number of causes, some that mimic adrenal disease.
Be sure and check for black heads (the skin will look spotty and yellowish
from oil).  Also my Miss Stella goes through a seasonal molt this time of
year, it ALWAYS looks just like hair loss from adrenal.  But it isn't.  This
type of seasonal alipacia is a documented occurance in ferrets.

So while I would watch her, I don't think I would jump the gun just yet.
Keep an eye on her, and also look for secondary symptoms of adrenal, like a
swollen vulva, or temperment change.  Some, not all, get this too.

And if it is just blackheads, get yourself some Oxy-Pads and swab the tail
once a day.  It will clear this up in just 3 or 4 days.  The ferrets don't
lick it, and it is much easier than bathing them.  Works really great!

Maggie the Mad Celt of Mid Mo

Just remember what PMS stands for-
possible murder suspect