From:
Anne Ryan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 15 May 2006 06:52:05 EDT
Hello everyone!

I'm sure by now you've all read Rene's exciting news on yesterday's
FML about the Ferret Emergency Response, Rescue and Evacuation Team.
One of the goals we've identified is to create a comprehensive list of
all shelters, private breeders, and large scale ferret owners in North
America.

Many lists already exist, but the one that we are creating will be
unique, in that it will contain information about your evacuation plan,
as well as have secondary contact information.  The goal is to be able
to help you assess and plan for emergency needs, as well as locate you
and be able to offer support after an emergency or disaster.

The information on this list will be kept strictly confidential, and
not shared with anyone except on a need to know basis in the time of an
emergency.  In other words, if you are in an area that is hard hit by a
tornado, earthquake, or other disaster, and you don't contact us or we
can't contact you directly or indirectly, we might ask someone from one
of the animal disaster groups--EARS, Noah's Wish, HSUS, etc. to look in
on you.

For anyone in a FFZ, please let us know your wishes on being checked
on by any emergency response group, and if you have a preferred
organization, please let us know that as well.  We understand you might
be reluctant to offer a physical address.  In this case, please give
us your ZIP code, and provide an additional emergency contact person,
someone you would be in touch with immediately following a disaster
who would be willing to act as a communication liason.

Please e-mail the following information to  [log in to unmask]

Shelter Name (self-explanatory)

Contact Name (self-explanatory)

Shelter Address (self-explanatory)

City (self-explanatory)

State (self-explanatory)

Zip  (self-explanatory)

Country (self-explanatory)

Primary Phone (self-explanatory)

Cell Phone (self-explanatory)

Average # of Ferrets (self-explanatory)

Vet  Name (self-explanatory)

Vet  Number (self-explanatory)

Emergency Contact Name & # (This should be someone who would know where
you were during an emergency or after an evacuation--a relative, close
friend or shelter volunteer)

Evacuation Plan (Where are you planning on going and the address/phone
of that place, how will you get there, how long can you stay)

Comments (Anything else you'd like us to know, additional contact
information, etc.)

Major Risk (This would depend on your geographical area--flood,
hurricane, tornado, earthquake, extended power outage.  You can also give
us information like you don't have a large enough vehicle to accomodate
all of your animals if you needed to evacuate, or live in a warm climate
and don't have a generator to provide a/c for the ferrets in the case of
a power outage.)

Other Pets in Home (This is helpful to know if we are working with you
on an evacuation plan and possible place to take shelter.)

Do you have a HAM operator in your area who will assist with messages?
(If you know of such a resource in your area, please give us their
information including Call Sign/Letters.)

Please feel free to contact me should you have any questions.  Let's
hope this information is never needed!

Anne Ryan