From:
Matthew Colmer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 12 Jan 1999 14:32:12 -0500
I share you concern with insulinoma.  My Farley recently had a potential
scare with it.  I'm not sure if he is over it or not, however.  Farley
received a fasting glucose of 74 (units??) the other day which is within
the acceptable range of 70 to 80.  My vet suggested I watch him and if
another hypo-glycemic episode occurs to bring him in for another test.  She
also suggested a second fasting to check if the level has changed.  Let
tell you, though, of the information I learn concerning insulinoma.

The episode with Farley was discovered while he was being boarded over the
holidays.  A mutant green slime virus may have triggered the episode or at
least allowed the potential of insulinoma appearing.  Farley exhibited an
abnormal behavior.  The urgent care worker who also houses many ferrets
took an immediate glucose check which registered 56, well below the
acceptable 100-150 range.  These are the options I was told: wait to see if
he shows anymore episodes and test again, which I did.  (During the two or
so weeks between the episode and his fasting, Farley received daily doses
of a sugar supplement called Nutri-Stat and pedalyte).  A second option is
surgery.  The surgery could reveal two things: large, removable tumors or
several microscopic, unremovable tumors covering the pancreas.  The second
possibility is definitely the worse.  Even if large tumors can be removed,
the is no guarantee they won't return.  The last option is to treat it
medically.  A steroid call Predizone (sp?) will allow the pancreas to
produce insulin the rest of his life.  Of course, Farley would need the
Pred for the rest of his life.  Treating medically should allow him to live
a normal ferret life and hopefully die of old age.

Let me offer me suggestion.  I will NOT opt for surgery if it is not
absolutely necessary.  I recently went through knee surgery and the two
week following that were quite rough.  Ferrets are known for recovery well
from surgery but so are we!  I had a hard time with just a knee; imagine a
three inch slice through your ferret's belly.  Until Farley shows regular
signs of hypo-glycemia, he shouldn't need any medical treatment.  Perhaps
the insulinoma is in the early stages and the green slime helped us to
diagnose it sooner.  Early diagnosis could lead to better odds of treatment
and recovery from surgery or from leading a normal, happy ferret life.
Like any tough health decision, it would not hurt to get a second opinion.
I am not a doctor; just a concerned ferret owner.

I hope this is what you were looking for and sorry for the length.  Keep us
posted with your kid's progress.

Matt and Farley and Bailey and Osborn and Domino