From:
"Church, Robert Ray (UMC-Student)" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 24 Dec 2003 04:08:18 -0600
I literally just got come from California and I haven't slept for more
than a day.  I'm dead tired, but there are some FML people I have to
thank.

My mom is doing better.  I think the news that I was going to fly her out
to Missouri this spring to attend my daughter Elizabeth's wedding gave
her the strength to rally from her recent medical problems.  She is a
fighter!  No one expected her to make it, and I have to admit, I was
becoming one of them.  If Quakers got last rites, she would have had them
a dozen times.  She is still in hospital, but she has taken a few steps
from death's door.  She has at least recovered enough so that I no longer
cringe every time my phone makes the long distance ring.

I sincerely want to thank each and every one of you who wrote privately
to express condolences for my mother's illness.  I've recieved cards,
letters, pictures, jokes, poems, toys, and even a tiny BBQ grill (for the
ferrets!) from extremely special and loving people.  More importantly,
the support given by friends who understood the great importance of
family to me was extremely touching.  They let me be alone because I
needed it, and even though I am not the type that allows people to help
during the sad times, it was important for me to know that they wanted to
do so.  I don't know if I'll ever be able to repay the many, many people
who sent words of support through this trial.

I got my Christmas presents early.  I got two of them: my mom, and the
knowledge that there are ferret people, here on the FML, that number
among the greatest hearts on the planet.  My mom always said only the
best and true friends step forward when you are hurting.  If mom is
right, then I have scores and scores of true friends here on the FML.

You know who you are, and so do I.  Thank you so much!  And thank you
Bill for allowing this mostly off-topic post.  I can't tell you how much
I appreciate it.

Bob C