From:
Stephanie <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 17 Dec 1997 19:12:24 -0800
Hi All-

***This is gross, so if you have a weak stomache, you might not want to read
this***

Quick question, sorry if it's already been discussed.  I just now noticed a
white worm coming out of my cat's anus.  From what I understand it's most
likely a tape worm.  My question is can my ferret become infected from the
cat?  From what I've read on the net just now, the part I saw was a section
of the tapeworm that is being released and is full of eggs.  The only way
for the cat to have gotten this in the first place was from digesting an
infected flea.  (They are indoor cats and I thought we were flea free, but I
guess we must have gotten at least one!  I hope there is not more!!) They
cannot be reinfected or transmitted from one cat to the other from the eggs,
only from digesting the infested fleas.  Are ferrets the same?  I read that
humans can only get it from ingesting the fleas also, so we are pretty safe
from contamination, but I'm really worried about our little Maggie.  I plan
to take both Ms. Blotches and Spots (Our two cats) to the vet tomorrow to
have them examined for the worms.  (Ms. Blotches is definately infested)
Should I also take Maggie?  Should I examine her somehow for possible
infestation?  If she did have them already, how could I tell?  Can ferrets
get worms at all?  Thanks in advance for ANY info.

Stephanie and Ken