From:
"March, Jim" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 3 Dec 1996 20:46:00 -0800
I've been bouncing this concept around for a while now, and I think it's
time to get serious.  I want to convince a local city council that the state
is visibly "full of do-do" on the ferret issue, and have them HALT LOCAL
ENFORCEMENT, either permanently or pending a real decision, not 14 years of
buck-passing that can be documented between the courts, the legislature and
the Commission/DFG.  At the city level, preferrably - County will have to
wait unless we can nail every town in a county.

I've got a flyer mostly done outlining the situation and full of color
prints from Pam Greene's photo library and elsewhere.  What I need is
somebody with solid contacts in City Councilpeople or a Mayor, preferrably
in the greater SF Bay Area, somebody who can do some lobbying.  Best bet
might be a liberal or college town like Palo Alto, Berkeley or mebbe
someplace in Marin.  Someplace upscale without a lot of heavy crisises to
distract 'em, and the smaller the better.  The first one will be the
hardest, and it won't be the last if we can pull this off...local gov'ts are
pissed off at the state right now because of several mandated diversions of
cash; the city of SF was willing to order their cops not to cooperate with
*Feds* (INS) over illegal aliens *and* buck the state over needle exchange...
this proves it's possible!

My EMail is back online (down for the last week) or call me at 510-866-1100
x2182 if you want to help, *especially* if you have a friend/relative in
local politics.  It's hard to play that kind of cozy game in Sacto without
bux, but on the local level it's sometimes a different story!  It'll be
worth it - picture DFG cost-justifying extra patrols in local city parks to
the media!

(Marie (or Bill?) - get back to me with that chronology ASAP so I can
finish the flyer!  Thanx!)