From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 30 Dec 2005 11:25:05 -0500
They were already looked for according to:
http://www.aspca.org/site/DocServer/grapes.pdf?docID=189

Of course, sometimes what is safe or even healthful for humans just isn't
for ferrets...

<http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?
cmd=Retrieve&db=PubMed&list_uids=11281423&dopt=Abstract>
is interesting:
> Environ Monit Assess. 2001 Feb;66(3):253-63.
> Related Articles, Links
>
> Pesticides and trace metals residue in grape and home made wine in
> Jordan.
>
> Al Nasir F, Jiries AG, Batarseh MI, Beese F.
>
> Mutah University, Karak, Jordan.
>
> Sixty home made wine and sixty-four grape samples were collected
> from five territories in Jordan, where grapes and wine are mostly
> producted. The collected samples were analyzed for the most used
> organochlorine pesticides (OCP) and organophosphorous pesticides
> (OPP) in Jordan, as well as for four heavy metals (Ni, Cu, Zn and
> Pb). The results showed that OCPs residues were detected in 73% of
> the wine samples but no OPPs residue were detected which is due to
> generally shorter half life of the later pesticide. Grapes showed
> higher incident of contamination than wine, however, OCPs and OPPs
> with both short and long half-lives were detected. The OPPs were
> detected in only 8.3% of the analyzed grape samples. Heavy metals
> showed higher values in grapes than in the wine samples and it was
> attributed to removal of solids during wine preparation processes
> or through contamination of wine during storage. Most of the
> samples were below toxic limit.
>
> PMID: 11281423 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

Most of the related grape articles at Pub Med are not on heavy metals.

(I recall a warning recently about some Indian spices grown in India
and smuggled into here that did not meet safe lead levels, so several
families had poisoned members.  Legal imports get some degree of testing
for that sort of hazard.)

-- Sukie (not a vet)
Ferret Health List co-moderator
FHL Archives fan