From:
Danee DeVore <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 15 Aug 2008 16:27:45 -0400
After my post the other day, I received several emails asking me for
resource information, so I thought I would post the information here,
so anyone interested would have it. If this information does not
interest you, please feel free to skip down to the next post. I will
not be hurt or insulted if some people do not read this. I recognize
that not everyone is interested in this information.

I will be including some vendors I am aware of but have not personally
used. I will note which ones I have used, and can personally recommend.

For whole prey I use RodentPro, and I have always been happy with their
product. They provide quality prey animals that have been raised and
euthanized humanely and safely. They provide information on their
website about how they handle their animals, for those interested.

And, while a large part of the reason I deal with RodentPro is
their reputation, they are also closer to me then some of the other
providers. Frozen prey has to be shipped expedited and packed with dry
ice. So, shipping costs plays a big role in the final cost. RodentPro's
website allows you to determine the shipping costs, and provides a
calculator to help you get the most product for your shipping dollars.
Here is a link to the RodentPro website:
  http://www.rodentpro.com/

Another prey provider that is highly recommended, but that I have not
used is Big Cheese Rodent Factory. They are located in Texas, and if
I lived in the southwest, I would likely use them, as I have heard
nothing but good from the people who do buy from them.
  http://www.rodentpro.com/
I think you mean http://www.bigcheeserodents.com/  BIG]

Some other online places that sell frozen prey are listed below. I have
not used any of these, and know nothing about their product.
  http://www.bigappleherp.com/REPTILE-SUPPLIES/Frozen-Feeders  in NY
  http://www.mikedupuyhawkfood.com/  in PA
  http://www.kritterhut.com/shop/index.php/cPath/64  in NY
  http://micedirect.com/  in GA
 <http://estore.websitepros.com/1900741/Categories.bok?category=Frozen+Feeders>
  in WA
  http://www.southfloridarodents.com/  in FL
  http://www.themousefactory.com/  in TX
  http://peticebox.com/index.htm   in VA

For raw commercially prepared foods I buy Nature's Variety and Hare
Today. The Hare Today is ground carcass, with no other additives. I am
able to buy it locally, since the store where I get my Nature's Variety
is also a distributor for Hare Today. Here are links to both websites -
and both provide a store locator feature. You can also order directly
from Hare Today.
  http://www.naturesvariety.com/raw
  http://www.hare-today.com/

Other sources of commercially prepared foods that I am aware of, but
have not tried, are listed below:
  http://www.blueridgebeef.com/index.html
  http://www.barfdirect.com/catalogs/store.asp?pid=118859&catid=27349
  http://www.barfproducts.com/index.htm
  http://www.auntjeni.com/homemade.htm
  http://www.primalpetfoods.com/index.htm
  http://www.stevesrealfood.com/

Additionally, here is a link to an article that discusses some of the
various commercial raw cat foods available on the market. I am unaware
of anyone that makes a raw ferret diet, and so the cat diets are likely
the ones that will come closest to meeting a ferrets needs. Keep in
mind, though, that the nutritional requirements of a ferret are not the
same as those of a cat, and so a food that is best for cats may not be
the best for ferrets. I am providing this simply because it may be of
use to some people in learning more about commercially available raw
foods.
     http://cats.about.com/od/catfoo1/tp/rawfreezefood.htm

There are also a number of providers of freeze dried foods and treats.
I have used the Wysong Dream Treats and also their cold processed
dehydrated food for ferrets with great success. With the dehydrated
food, I moisten it with water to reconstitute it. Wysong products can
be ordered directly from their website, and also from many online pet
food providers. Here is a link to the Wysong site.
     http://www.wysong.net/page/WOTTPWS/CTGY/FERR

Katherine had asked about providers of freeze dried mice, and there is
at least one brand available - Pogos. They are sold as a cat treat.
Here is one online provider that carries them.

<http://catniptoys.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=181-MOUSE&Category_Code=T>
 or http://tinyurl.com/6pzoa3

Some other online providers of freeze dried meats for pets are listed
here. I have not tried all of these products.
   http://www.wysong.net/page/WOTTPWS/CTGY/FERR
   http://www.paws-itivelypurr-fectnutrition.com/felineraw.html
   http://www.thehonestkitchen.com/products/prowl.shtml
   http://www.stellaandchewys.com/site/products_dogs/treats_crunch.asp

For canned foods, I recommend either the Wysong, EVO or Merrick canned
meats. Merrick offers canned foods that have additives, but their new
Before Grain line is 100% meat. Both the Wysong and EVO canned meats do
contain 5% other ingredients.
     http://www.merrickpetcare.com/store/bg_canned_cat_food_32.php
     http://www.evopet.com/products/default.asp?id=1662
     http://www.wysong.net/page/WOTTPWS/CTGY/FERR

I will not go into listing sources for kibbles, since I think that
most people are pretty familiar with them.

I hope that this information is helpful to at least some of the good
people who read the FML.

Danee DeVore
ADV - If your ferret hasn't been tested, you don't know!
For more information visit:
http://www.ferretadv.com
ADV - Find out how you can help:
http://help4adv.terrabox.com/