From:
Pamela Greene <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The Ferret Mailing List (FML)
Date:
Thu, 10 Feb 1994 12:22:10 -0500
[Did you get my set of fixes?]

FERRET FAQ FOR NEW AND PROSPECTIVE OWNERS
Compiled and edited by Pamela Greene ([log in to unmask])
(version 1.1, 1/31/94)

This FAQ is being distributed to the FML in about 20 pieces in order to
encourage your comments and suggestions.  I'd also be happy to send you the
whole file; it's roughly 75kB, but I can split it into smaller segments if
your mailer has problems with large messages.

*** PART 11 of LOTS ***

3.7> What kind of litter should I use?

[begin PG]
Some people have had problems with the clumping varieties of litter,
due to some ferrets' habits of sniffing at their litter corners and
dragging their rumps across the litter when done using it.  The litter
can get into their noses or rectums, where it clumps and causes
problems.  You may not want to take the chance.

Other than that, any kind of litter meant for cats is okay for
ferrets.  You and your ferret may prefer one to another, since they
all control or cover odors differently, track more or less dust, cost
more or less, and so forth.  If your pet is used to one and you
switch, it may take a while for him to connect the scent of the new
litter with where he's supposed to go.

3.8> What kind of collar/bell/tag should I use?

[begin PG]
We've had great success with nylon kitten collars.  We get the 8-inch
size and poke an extra hole through the woven threads, then trim off
the extra inch or so from the end.  You'll want to be sure to leave
enough to go through the ring after the buckle, and enough space for
growth if you're sizing it for a kit.  We found that the loose end
just wouldn't stay in its ring, so our ferret had a tendency to chew
on it and fray the nylon; we solved that problem by melting about a
quarter inch of the flat surface of the collar in addition to the cut
end.  Not only does that keep it from fraying, it makes it a bit
harder so it gets caught in the ring better.

We've never had any problems with either of our ferrets getting hurt
by catching their collars in anything, but we make sure to leave them
loose enough that the furry snakes can slip out if they happen to get
caught.  In fact, the easiest way we've found to get the collars on is
to fasten them, then shove them over the ferrets' heads while
occupying them with Ferretone.

A small cat bell and small-size plastic tag have worked well for us on
a kit as young as 9 weeks.  I strongly suggest getting the S-shaped
hook for the tag rather than the split ring, since the rings have a
tendency to loosen.  Twice one of our ferrets got hers caught in a
sweater or blanket -- which both frightened her and unraveled the item
she was frantically rolling in before she pulled out of the collar.
You'll probably want to poke the S-hook directly through the nylon and
put the bell and tag on the same hook, though, since attaching them to
the ring on the collar makes them hang down far enough to drag on the
ground.

Neither of our slinkies seems to mind wearing a collar, although the
first time we put it on our older pet she spent 15 minutes trying to
convince us she was dying and then the next hour playing with the
jingly toy that followed her wherever she went.

In short, I strongly recommend tags and bells for all ferrets.  Ours
have never gotten out, but even just around the house it gives
enormous peace of mind to be able to tell where they are!

3.9> Any suggestions on toys?

[begin PG]
Cat toys work well for ferrets, though you need to be sure they don't
have any small, removable parts or foam stuffing (see question 7.2).
Plastic balls, with or without bells, work well if they are not easily
broken or swallowed, as do golf balls or large unshelled nuts (rinsed
to wash off any pesticides).  Cat squeaky toys are good if they're
tough enough to stand up to chewing and easily squeaked.  Catnip won't
hurt ferrets, but it doesn't affect them like it does cats.

Most ferrets enjoy playing in a hammock made from a piece of cloth and
some metal eyelets, and the leg from an old pair of jeans will be fun
to crawl through or nap in.  Plastic shopping bags are popular, but
watch to be sure your pets don't suffocate or eat the plastic.
Carpet-roll tubes and tunnels made of plastic pipe are popular too.
Unfortunately, digging up houseplants is also enormous fun to a
ferret; see question 4.1 for advice on preventing this.

No matter what you decide your ferret's toys are, he or she will
almost undoubtedly choose some household items you never expected, as
well.  Keep anything that would be damaged with a little chewing, or
that might hurt your pet, well out of reach.

[begin RN]
Toys: Only get HARD rubber toys, not soft, spongy rubber -- the latter
can be easily shredded, and the pieces eaten.  For misc. toys, ferrets
often love umbrellas (believe it or not!), cloth belts (from robes --
these are great for tug-of-war!), and tennis balls.