From:
Claire Curtis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 19 Feb 2003 10:12:15 -0500
I have a large ceramic bowl I keep in the shower; it's especially
attractive when filled with warm water.  They all like to drink from
that bowl when its filled with warm water -- they all gather around
and have a tea party with extremely weak tea LOL.

Missy, especailly, loves the water bowl.  She will snorkel and blow
bubbles and sometimes stand in the water with her front legs -- if the
others are 'having tea', they'll knock her away and slam-dancing ensues
(outa the tea!  Yeah, you!  ).  A special treat for Missy (the others
don't care) is to fill the bowl with fizzy water.  Bubbles!  Dig
frantically, it froths!  MEGA fun.

But inside the cage -- I have a large water bottle, with a small metal
bowl under it.  This catches any drips (they will play with the water
bottle flow, too) and besides, they really seem to prefer drinking from
a bowl.  The bowl is the type that sits in a ring clipped to the cage,
and is only 3" in diameter.  The bowl is in the corner, and the area is
a little cramped for effective digging.

Nevertheless, I have a second water bottle and bowl setup far away from
the first.  This one is Missy's.  It's next to a bowl in the corner that
holds kibble.  Missy will dig in it, and she also gets food in it a lot
(she's the only one with a distinct mask and I think she thinks she wants
to be a raccoon).  I suspended a little shield from the mesh under her
bowl, and spilled water drips away outside the cage.  And I don't fill
that bowl too full.  I could probably reduce digging by switching the
location of the water/food bowl (you need elbow room to dig) but with
this setup the mess isn't not too bad, and why ruin her fun?

As far as ferrets liking water -- my experience is that they all love it
in some form.  Missy gets in there and digs.  Sam loves to come right
into the shower and lick ankles.  Frankie doesn't like to get wet,
directly, but loves to stand in the mist and pretend he's gotten wet, so
that he can go crazy drying himself.

If you only have half an hour for playtime, and want to get the kids
running around quickly, just turn on the shower.  Let someone get wet,
then start flicking the towel around.  Warning - this can be a bit messy;
they run and bump into everything rather than really try to dry off.

As a friend of mine put it, "instant insanity -- just add water".

Hope this helps --
--Claire
(Sam the Great White Weasel, Lord Franklin the Explorer, and
Missy-my-middle-name-is-trouble-Boo)