From:
Jennifer B <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 10 Apr 2006 22:25:17 -0700
Hello everyone

Please be patient with me as I attempt to provide clarification to those
who are interested in knowing the details surrounding my experience with
Phoebe, the ferret I originally fostered then eventually adopted from
Little Dudes Ferret Ranch (LDFR) in WA state last year.  Since the
shelter operator has cited this situation as the reason she believes I am
an "unfit" ferret parent and will not adopt to me ever again, I believe
it is only fair for the 'ferret community' to know ow "irresponsible" I
am before anyone decides whether or not I am worthy of adopting from
their shelter in the future, as I seek out a companion for Snowball.

After reading the exact details, you are all free to think what you wish
- judge me if you must - but all I ask is that you please stand in front
of a mirror when you're pointing a "finger of shame" at me.

Since 'm totally comfortable with my decision and everything that led up
to it, I have no problem posting the truth and facts about what took
place, for ANYONE to read, as I have nothing to hide.  I totally
understand the need and desire for shelter's to be cautious and have a
certain set of criteria for potential ferret adoptees but I also don't
believe that shelters have the right to play GOD either and have sole and
absolute authority to discriminate against anyone for any reason whenever
they wish!  Ferrets (and all animals) are living creatures, not PROPERTY
that shelters OWN!!

Phoebe's story:

When I decided to adopt Phoebe in late 2004, it was after I had already
been fostering her for several months from LDFR and I had EVERY good
intention of giving Phoebe the BEST care possible.  I did EVERYTHING I
could do to make sure that happened for as long as I could, yet Ms.
Noren, the LDFR operator continues to chastize me with her mean-spirited
behavior.  What Ms. Noren is leaving out is that, before I made the
gut-wrenching decision to bring Phoebe back I drove myself into the
ground physically and financially caring for Phoebe.

For the entire TEN MONTHS Phoebe was in my care, I went to bed at 10 pm,
woke up at 2 am and then at 6 am to hand feed Phoebe and give her meds.
I then drove home at 12 noon EVERY DAY that I possibly could to hand
feed Phoebe again and give her more meds.

I arrived home from work at 6pm sharp and went through this exact same
routine.  I had NO life during this time and rarely went anywhere away
from the house for longer than 4-6 hrs.  at a time - EVER.  I didn't go
out with friends on the weekends, didn't go out and have fun - NOTHING -
b/c I wanted to make sure I was close to home for Phoebe at all times.
The ONE TIME I went away overnight, to a ferret show in Idaho, I left
Sasha & Snowball at home (with a ferret sitter) and took Phoebe with me.
She was never out of my sight longer than 6 hrs.  at a time in 10 months!

Despite being unemployed for a number of months off and on during that
time and whilie Phoebe was still considered a foster at my home, Little
Dudes NEVER paid for ONE PENNY of her food costs, medical bills (vet
appnts or meds), toys, litter - NOTHING.  (I didn't ask b/c I didn't
want to burden the shelter, knowing how high their bills were already).

I have nothing left to justify to ANYONE about my decision to return
Phoebe (as the adoption contract that I was never given and never signed
says I could do).  I had become absolutely exhausted from the schedule I
was keeping and my savings account was nearly drained dry on Phoebe's
medical bills alone (a total of almost $1,000 was spent on PHOEBE alone
in the 10 months I had her - FAR more than my other two furkids combined,
the entire year!) I cried for DAYS straight before making the decision
and my friends were on the receiving end so they know how much I
anguished about it.  Yet, to this day, the attitude I've received from
Ms. Noren is rude and very mean-spirited, implying that I am an
irresponsible and "unfit" ferret owner!!!

Ms. Noren says that "Senior ferrets don't do well when they have to
change homes".  No, REALLY?  Hmm.... maybe that's why I waited so long
before deciding to bring Phoebe back!  HELLO!  So basically Ms. Noren
really does believe that Phoebe would have been better off not coming to
my home for 10 months to get the specialized care she did because the
"uprooting" was too much for her at her age and that Phoebe would have
been given FAR BETTER CARE AND INDIVIDUAL ATTENTION at her shelter -
YEAH, RIGHT! ! ! ! !  Phoebe would have NEVER EVER received feedings
every four hours and food/meds at 2 am and Ms. Noren would NEVER have
been able to go home on her lunch hour to care for Phoebe b/c she worked
too far away from her home!!!!!

According to the LDFR shelter website, Phoebe has since passed away -
AT THE SHELTER and not at my home.  I can't help but ask the question -
"Terri, if Phoebe (and other seniors) are better off at YOUR shelter and
not in a home, then how come Phoebe died while in YOUR care and not mine?
Was it really from the trauma of being re-homed and then returned?"
REALLY?

To all of you SHELTERS:
I am NOT a ferret shelter and have never taken an oath that says I MUST
care for ALL ferrets no matter what the cost to my health and finances
(as some shelter operators operate).  We all know that there are MANY
ferret owners out there who have returned their ferret(s) to a shelter
without even shedding a tear b/c they just didn't want to bother with the
ferret anymore and took the 'easy way out'!  I NEVER EVER took the 'easy
way out' with Phoebe!  If that was the case, I would have returned her
much earlier than I did and saved myself ALOT of money, grief, and
tears!!!

I provide what I believe to be the absolute very best I can for all
ferrets in my care and any greater expectation is absolutely
unreasonable!  I am SO DONE with this but thought it was important for
any potential ferret owner in Washington State to know what to expect
if considering a ferret adoption from LDFR or any of the sheters here.
Count your blessings today that you don't live in WA State with your
furkids!  :-P

Jennifer and Snowball :-)